Author Topic: DTF not DTG  (Read 12263 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: DTF not DTG
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2020, 12:58:19 PM »
Though hardly an especially elegant solution, fades could be done in a similar method that print and cut folks are stuck with, adding a contour of the shirt color.
As I said, not a very elegant solution, but another arrow in our quiver.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Online zanegun08

« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2020, 01:25:27 PM »
I believe we would have to create our art to look like halftones, as the RIP for color does not print out halftones, but "dots" in the printer sense, 720 x whatever. I would think making bitmap tiffs in Photoshop then importing them into the final image to be save a .png? Just a guess...

It's possible, I've had these made overseas, it's a large back print, and I don't know the limitations on LPI, but I made halftones for the drop shadow on this, the same could be done for colors.  However I don't really suggest DTF or Transfers for large prints, the reason we did this one was a large super detailed print going on a lower number of hoodies, so soft hand isn't as much as a concern, as well as it's an 80's vibe anyhow which transfers are suited for.  I didn't feel confident in printing this with good results, so went transfer route for this one.

But correct, you can turn your image to greyscale, make a bitmap with the gradients, and then use that to mask a full color image for DTF, it's not a difficult process, just an extra step before printing.  The dots would need to be large enough to have white behind them otherwise they just turn to black or garment color if going on dark.  Also the glue around the edges of halftones may be not a great look depending on your taste.  However what you think looks great I may not and vice versa.

But I think that a 35 LPI or something may work decent in some cases to blend to the garment, like Frog said, you could also do garment color but that is yucky!  But it may work for you and your customer as their bar for quality may be different.

I think you will be very happy with what we have coming...

When you are ready, maybe I can send you the same file to have you print that I sent to Kingdom DTF, can / will pay for a sample.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2020, 01:27:10 PM »
I'm with Steve doing a bitmap convert, might take a few extra steps, worth the try anyway
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2020, 01:42:15 PM »
Yes, that's what I was trying to describe.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2020, 02:24:15 PM »
So one thing I can't find an answer to is can the prints stack up in the printer?  Or do you have to immediately have to pull the sheets to powder them?

Online zanegun08

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2020, 02:34:40 PM »
So one thing I can't find an answer to is can the prints stack up in the printer?  Or do you have to immediately have to pull the sheets to powder them?

On these little hokey printers, I would say you have to pull each sheet and powder as the next sheet would smear the previous.  My guess, so someone please prove me wrong.  However they may be able to be stacked after powdering and before being cured similar to how you can do with plastisol transfers if you are gentle.

But on a more industrial setup, this is how it can be done https://www.facebook.com/allen.lau.359126/videos/343915286982120  Hopefully DonR's version is more like that.

I liken the table top versions to more like an OKI Toner printer, may be fine for selling bootleg items on Etsy to soccer moms.

But fingers crossed this method keeps improving

Offline Matt82

« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2020, 02:47:40 PM »
I've got the desktop model (L1800) and you can't stack them as they come out since the ink is still wet,  I'm still messing around with it and haven't tried stacking them after the have the powder on them yet.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2020, 08:08:35 PM »
No stacking, the powder needs to be set or it smears. You can print a film and let it sit, you don't need to powder right away. we haven't seen this glue issue before, you need to flick the paper, really give it a good smack to get the excess off, could be the film to, I have two different kinds and one is bit more static cling than the other. I'm going to try white rip, see if it can do it. I hate band-aids.

...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2020, 09:43:36 PM »
There isn't a reason for them not to have at least halftone fades, unless the powder is too big to sit on small dots.  Even a 55lpi or 45 lpi fade to shirt would be impressive.

I believe we would have to create our art to look like halftones, as the RIP for color does not print out halftones, but "dots" in the printer sense, 720 x whatever. I would think making bitmap tiffs in Photoshop then importing them into the final image to be save a .png? Just a guess...

Steve
You're onto something. This is what I did for DTG bases back in the day. AND, it was another way to help make a DTG look more like a screen print. The other thing that might be even better is to not do halftones, but to do diffusion dithered bitmaps. Michelle Moxley started doing this for the Digital squeegee after I mentioned it on a thread.  She already knew about the process from her past experiences) and made it turn out really well for those Digital squeegee prints.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2020, 11:39:36 PM »

On these little hokey printers, I would say you have to pull each sheet and powder as the next sheet would smear the previous.  My guess, so someone please prove me wrong.  However they may be able to be stacked after powdering and before being cured similar to how you can do with plastisol transfers if you are gentle.

But on a more industrial setup, this is how it can be done https://www.facebook.com/allen.lau.359126/videos/343915286982120  Hopefully DonR's version is more like that.

I liken the table top versions to more like an OKI Toner printer, may be fine for selling bootleg items on Etsy to soccer moms.

But fingers crossed this method keeps improving

when you're screen printing these, and you're using powder, once the powder hits the ink, you can stack sheets, without them being cured.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2020, 09:39:39 AM »
Even if they made a small unit that auto powdered and gelled the inks it would be a huge time saver.  I don't like the idea of having to clear each sheet.  I guess you could time the first one and set a phone reminder to pull it when it's done and just keep making copies that way.

Online zanegun08

« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2020, 05:04:03 PM »
I will be making an announcement next week.

Any updates?  Counting on your post for my Christmas Present :)

Offline DonR

« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2020, 08:00:09 AM »
Zanegun08, We are waiting to get our process fully developed. Everything this year has taken more time then expected. We will be starting a "Trade Only" automated service to print DTF transfers right after the New Year. This service will give you high quality transfers at an amazing low price and in most cases transfers will ship to you the same day the order is placed. Sorry, if this is not the Christmas present you are hoping for. However, going this route first will help give us the knowledge how to support the machines and this process. It will also allow you to test how the transfers will work for you.

Moderator, if not allowed please delete.

Offline DonR

« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2021, 05:02:11 PM »
Everything is finally ready to go! If interested in getting DTF samples, go to www.tprnt.com and sign up for an account.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 05:05:37 PM by DonR »

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2021, 07:09:06 PM »
Sweet. Thank you for posting Don