Author Topic: Maverick vs. Avalanche  (Read 12533 times)

Offline tbarnes

• Verified/Junior
Re: Maverick vs. Avalanche
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2021, 05:23:42 PM »
Thanks Michelle!

I always enjoy seeing your work. Those prints look fantastic and speak volumes to the capabilities of the Maverick. I think you are one clear, outlying pro that pushes M&R far above Kornit in most of our books.

Thanks again.

Offline BorisB

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2021, 12:07:29 AM »
We own and like several M&R machines in screen department. But their track record in DTG is, well lacking....

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2021, 09:13:01 AM »
We own and like several M&R machines in screen department. But their track record in DTG is, well lacking....

I think Michelle is working on sorting those things out. They are also focusing on digital so things will get better. It will eventually, hopefully pretty soon, be on par with their other stuff.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline tbarnes

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2021, 10:47:31 AM »

Personally, we have i-Images in our screen department. I am a lot more impressed with the Maverick and the work Michelle has been doing on the digital side of printing over their screen development technology.

We have a digital squeegee that we have produced some awesome prints on. Michelle has really killed it with the R&D on the DS, right now we are happy with the images that the machine produces we are just anxiously waiting for the ink companies to continue catching up to the level of R&D that M&R has done for hybrid printing.

Personally, I would take the Maverick over the Avalanche for a number of reasons. I started this thread to get some conversation flowing and get some ammunition to hit my finance and executive team with.

Offline Jepaul

• www.youngonecorporation.com
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2021, 12:04:27 PM »

Personally, we have i-Images in our screen department. I am a lot more impressed with the Maverick and the work Michelle has been doing on the digital side of printing over their screen development technology.

We have a digital squeegee that we have produced some awesome prints on. Michelle has really killed it with the R&D on the DS, right now we are happy with the images that the machine produces we are just anxiously waiting for the ink companies to continue catching up to the level of R&D that M&R has done for hybrid printing.

Personally, I would take the Maverick over the Avalanche for a number of reasons. I started this thread to get some conversation flowing and get some ammunition to hit my finance and executive team with.
What are the ink limitations you are seeing with the Hybrid technology?   Is it with the digital inks or the bases and tie coats?

Offline tbarnes

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2021, 01:06:52 PM »

What are the ink limitations you are seeing with the Hybrid technology?   Is it with the digital inks or the bases and tie coats?

Our biggest complaint is the stiffness of the print from the final coat. We are printing at the max sizes (19" H) and the top coat we have been using makes the print feel pretty stiff. It isn't really noticeable on thicker substrates like fleece, but when we put it on a soft style the stiffness is pretty noticeable compared to a screen print or even a full digital print.

I just spoke with our rep and he said they released a hybrid top coat at the end of last year that I guess missed our shop...so we are going to give that a try and he assured me it is a lot softer. I think we need to push R&D internally as well and try some different mesh/squeegee combinations to see what will give us the best feel while still being durable and holding a good wash fastness.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2021, 03:24:01 PM »
Our biggest complaint is the stiffness of the print from the final coat.

This. Couple months back I was close to pulling the trigger on my 3rd press and DS to go on it, but once I got samples in. The feel for me was a full stop no go zone.

Michelle and staff was great on the samples and I will continue to pay attention as things change.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2021, 09:54:24 PM »

Have you been doing any discharge bases? 

I'm wondering if you did discharge base with the top coat, and then flash / hot head or stamped it if you could get the feel you are after.  Or even just a hot head or stamp before the dryer.

Couple months back I was close to pulling the trigger on my 3rd press and DS to go on it.

I feel they need to go on an oval with at least 10-12 stations prior to the DS, and then another 10-12 after, not all need to be print heads but since for us to be happy with an HSA base takes us 3 screens, there is no way we could be successful putting this on a round press.

The samples are getting better and better all the time.

Follow https://www.instagram.com/tryckhuset/ if you aren't for some real production images.

------------------------------------------------------------

On a separate note, the printer I've been outsourcing to with the Maverick has upgraded their dryer, and got some software updates to their DS so the more recent images we have sent to them have been looking even better.  I think it's a good resource, I still don't want one, but just want a network of people to outsource that can figure out those headaches :)

Offline tbarnes

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2021, 02:17:08 PM »

Have you been doing any discharge bases? 

I'm wondering if you did discharge base with the top coat, and then flash / hot head or stamped it if you could get the feel you are after.  Or even just a hot head or stamp before the dryer.

Yes we use discharge base. I think one thing that set us back was using a full, solid underbase screen instead of dithering it and using halftones in it. That definitely makes the print feel heavier.

We have been able to get it to feel really smooth and soft, but the larger images have a bit of a stiffness to them. I will let you guys know how the stiffness is effected by the new top coat we are getting. I think we are going to have really positive results.

To help with your curiosity about using the hot head after the top coat, it will not help with the stiffness. If the print isn't smooth it will definitely help smooth it by flattening the surface. But it will not make the print feel softer or make it any less stiff. I did try that lol and tried heat pressing after curing too. Actually makes it feel even more stiff tbh.

It is an awesome machine though and I would definitely stand by the purchase. Worth the money in my opinion.