Author Topic: problem with some Supacolor transfers  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
problem with some Supacolor transfers
« on: December 23, 2020, 12:42:38 PM »
Hey all, especially those using Supacolor; the first couple of orders worked very well, but I'm having a hell of a time putting some left fronts on some Charles River 9542 Thermal Zip Hoodies. I'm pressing a single layer, 315°, 15 seconds, and they are not releasing from the paper, or some releases, some doesn't and some of what releases is not sticking to the sweatshirt. They are getting 15 seconds of pre-press, then allowed to cool a little, the the normal application. They say I'm doing it correctly, which I know I am, but does anyone have any guesses? They haven't replied to me in 22 hours, I'm a little miffed...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: problem with some Supacolor transfers
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 04:16:26 PM »
If you have extra's try pressing on some other fabric blends, same thing then use more pressure, longer press time and heat temp.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 05:00:36 PM »
I had a nice chat with them later, and between us we came up with an uneven platen pressure due to the fact that our press is a clamshell. So the suggestion was to make a shim to go near the back that would force the platen level. Then I looked at my hat press, with the larger platen that the left front print fit on, and voila, it came out great. So, even after applying transfers since the 70's, there's still something to learn, or in this case, re-learn...

Steve

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 06:05:24 PM »
I had a nice chat with them later, and between us we came up with an uneven platen pressure due to the fact that our press is a clamshell. So the suggestion was to make a shim to go near the back that would force the platen level. Then I looked at my hat press, with the larger platen that the left front print fit on, and voila, it came out great. So, even after applying transfers since the 70's, there's still something to learn, or in this case, re-learn...

Steve

Though some clamshell designs have come up with engineering tweaks to help overcome this, it is the nature of the beast. What one saves in footprint over a swing-away, there is the inherent characteristic of the back hitting first (and, in your case) also giving more pressure. Another problem sometimes is stuff creeping forward if not stuck down well.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 08:04:52 AM »

Steve

Though some clamshell designs have come up with engineering tweaks to help overcome this, it is the nature of the beast. What one saves in footprint over a swing-away, there is the inherent characteristic of the back hitting first (and, in your case) also giving more pressure. Another problem sometimes is stuff creeping forward if not stuck down well.

I misspoke, it is a swing away, an Insta 216, but the effect was the same.

Steve

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 10:30:37 AM »

Steve

I misspoke, it is a swing away, an Insta 216, but the effect was the same.

Steve

And I should have paid more attention to your post as  you stated, in your case, that the pressure was actually less in the back, rather than the usual Clamshell problem. It must be something that has worn, yes? Have you also talked to Insta?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?