Author Topic: Metal Halide wattage  (Read 4837 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Metal Halide wattage
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2021, 11:18:29 AM »
it might not even be metal halide. could be the version before MH. was it lead something?

pierre
There were Mercury Vapor bulbs which are very similar but not as efficient. I do not know if they are inter-changeable with the same ballast as Metal Halide, even with the same mogul base and football shape.

that's it! lead was not ringing the bell, but I remember it was something toxic!
thanx

pierre

I just dug a bit, and it appears that most MV ballasts should work with regular MH bulbs. Then, there's also talk about igniters, and pulse start, which goes right over my head. Bottom line, though of course Brown should be able to help with some specific info, is that industrial type MH bulbs are pretty darn rich in the light we need, and a vacuum will help give professional results. This could easily be $150 dollars well spent! Next step, after mastering coating, our furry friend will need to meet up with Step Wedge Man and start making some great screens.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 11:46:32 AM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2021, 02:55:32 PM »
Some back story.

FurryHippie met my wife a while ago and they got to talking about the apparel business and what each do. Long story short, I went over to his house on Sat. and  gave some assistance in setting up their manual press. After a while, they were on their way with the press. So we talked printing, screens, exposure, art etc. I went into as much of the pitfalls I could muster up and also the pro’s of the business. Fun stuff.

So with me not being that savvy with various light sources in exposure units, I suggested he stop in here and here he is.

I know you guys/gals could help him out.  Thanks gang!
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline FurryHippie

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2021, 09:44:04 PM »
it might not even be metal halide. could be the version before MH. was it lead something?

pierre
There were Mercury Vapor bulbs which are very similar but not as efficient. I do not know if they are inter-changeable with the same ballast as Metal Halide, even with the same mogul base and football shape.

that's it! lead was not ringing the bell, but I remember it was something toxic!
thanx

pierre

I just dug a bit, and it appears that most MV ballasts should work with regular MH bulbs. Then, there's also talk about igniters, and pulse start, which goes right over my head. Bottom line, though of course Brown should be able to help with some specific info, is that industrial type MH bulbs are pretty darn rich in the light we need, and a vacuum will help give professional results. This could easily be $150 dollars well spent! Next step, after mastering coating, our furry friend will need to meet up with Step Wedge Man and start making some great screens.

Yeah i had been reading that MH Bulbs are some of the best light you can have for this. I just was not sure how much would be to much when it comes to watts. When I get this thing in my garage i will do a little more digging in and see what it is capable of. Thanks for your help!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2021, 09:52:16 PM »

pierre

thanx

pierre

Yeah i had been reading that MH Bulbs are some of the best light you can have for this. I just was not sure how much would be to much when it comes to watts. When I get this thing in my garage i will do a little more digging in and see what it is capable of. Thanks for your help!

You will likely be limited to the same size as the original MV. Should be marked.

Offline FurryHippie

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2021, 09:55:24 PM »

pierre

thanx

pierre

You will likely be limited to the same size as the original MV. Should be marked.
So if it happened to be a 400w I should be good?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2021, 10:09:02 PM »
Well, 400 watt MH bulbs should be readily available.

Offline FurryHippie

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2021, 10:17:34 PM »
Well, 400 watt MH bulbs should be readily available.
Yeah they run around 40 bucks, 1000 watt is around 150 or something like that.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2021, 10:46:05 PM »
Is a 400 watt going to be good enough?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline FurryHippie

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2021, 10:50:52 PM »
I have read people getting 2 min exposure times with 400w. I am sure there are alot of other variables. 1000w bulb would be alot of light!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2021, 10:54:33 PM »

Well, back in it's day, the original 400 watt MV bulb was good enough for those buying this unit.  Switching to MH will already knock down times significantly. Note that its timer goes up to 30 minutes!
400 watts is not as fast as 1000 or, of course, 5000, but as I mentioned, with a similarly sized unit, my exposures are in the 50-90 second range with a Photopolymer emulsion. 

Offline FurryHippie

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2021, 08:13:09 PM »

Well, back in it's day, the original 400 watt MV bulb was good enough for those buying this unit.  Switching to MH will already knock down times significantly. Note that its timer goes up to 30 minutes!
400 watts is not as fast as 1000 or, of course, 5000, but as I mentioned, with a similarly sized unit, my exposures are in the 50-90 second range with a Photopolymer emulsion.
The white bulb is what is in the machine. Not sure what kind that is.

Offline FurryHippie

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2021, 08:17:14 PM »

The white bulb is what is in the machine. Not sure what kind that is.

This may be it

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2021, 10:30:32 AM »
I have never seen a white bulb of this type. All of mine are completely clear.
Also, they are stamped at the end as to type and size. Here's a shot of an old one from Sylvania (I have a GE in my unit now)

Offline FurryHippie

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2021, 05:13:35 PM »
I finally got the unit home. It dies have the white coated bulb but I'm going to replace it with a clear. Everything runs and works but unfortunately I do have some work to do to it. The rubber mat is missing and I'm going to replace the gasket in the lid. I have searched everywhere online for information on this thing but no luck. I'll add a few pictures.