Author Topic: 17" Film Printer  (Read 4714 times)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Re: 17" Film Printer
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 02:54:11 PM »
The x000 series are going to all be the dye based older print engine Epsons. Workhorses,
GhostScript works perfectly with them, a little slow and temper-mental.

The x600-x800 are the next step up. Pigment based (waterproof film required) little faster
and less touchy. Ink is considerably more expensive, some cartridges have chips that must be fooled
to refill/use all black, most commercial RIPs support this series.

x880 is the newest (for us) series. Same as above but faster and supposedly clog less. Remains
to be seen.
Will other RIPs work with the 4000? I just found one for cheap with a stand.

I use a 4000 with Accurip. No problems what so ever. Its been a great printer.
Do you use refillable carts?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 02:58:55 PM »
...where are you located? I have a 4000 that i just dont have the time to setup.....

http://www.digitsmith.com/epson-4000-roll-film-30988.html
Im in California that would suck to ship.

I could possibly be talked into parting with our 3000 since we upgraded to a 4800. If you can find a deal, it is worth a little extra. If you are interested in the 3000 I have 5-6 or maybe even more cartridges I would throw in with it. They are 110ml and you should be good for a year at least with that. We were getting about three months out of one cart at about 10 films per day.
The ink for them is dirt cheap too, about $6 each.

pierre

p.s. shipping to CA would be expensive though.
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 03:09:41 PM »
The x000 series are going to all be the dye based older print engine Epsons. Workhorses,

The x600-x800 are the next step up. Pigment based (waterproof film required) little faster
and less touchy. Ink is considerably more expensive, some cartridges have chips that must be fooled

x880 is the newest (for us) series. Same as above but faster and supposedly clog less. Remains
to be seen.

Do you use refillable carts?
I have all refillable cartridges  and I only run two blacks. Prints just fine and fast enough for what we need.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 03:12:32 PM »
Ok I will do a little more research. One thing though if someone knows. Can you use refillable cartridges with the 4000? I have them in my 1400 and dont have any problems. I hear about chip resetters and never had to deal with that on my 1400.

Had to get a chip resetter for my R1800, not a big deal. The resetter cost 6 bucks. It can reset real epson carts as well if you can find a way to refill them.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 03:13:13 PM »
Hey Blue, what do you run in the other carts?

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »

to be seen.

Hey Jblue, can we get in touch sometime so I can pick your brain in setting this printer up? I would actually use it if I could get it set up properly.
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2012, 06:18:26 PM »
Hey Blue, what do you run in the other carts?

Clear ink in 6 and black in two of them.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline squeezee

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 06:24:53 PM »
4000 is a great printer, you can run refillables and get some really good deals. Wasatch RIP for preference.
imagesetters for screenprinting  A Troll-free zone :-)

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2012, 07:13:19 PM »
Keep an eye on craigslist nation wide and you'll find a 4000/4800/4880 for less than $200 bucks. I see them all the time. i've not yet got one as the ink costs $800 for an 8 cart 200ml set.
Use search tempest or other free craigslist search tool. Shipping won't be more than $100

Had to get a chip resetter for my R1800, not a big deal. The resetter cost 6 bucks. It can reset real epson carts as well if you can find a way to refill them.

You refill the stock carts with the vacumn method. Fill the syringe, then insert and pull on the plunger, when you let go the cart pulls the ink in. Repeat 2-3 times till the cart is full.
Here's video.
http://youtu.be/XdVWBP7HoOM <--- TURN OFF SOUND!

On RIPs.. Accurip handles just about all 'worthy' Epson printers all the way back to the 3000 and then some. Check their site for the full list.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 08:20:01 PM by jsheridan »
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services