Author Topic: Photoshop question  (Read 3678 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Photoshop question
« on: March 04, 2021, 12:03:21 PM »
So I have a file that's fairly large, 12" x 21" or so, RGB. In the Finder (Mac directory) the file states it's size is 12.6 MB, but when open in Photoshop, the file size in the bottom left corner shows 60/80 MB. How come?

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Photoshop question
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 01:59:44 PM »
There is a document file size sitting unopened, and there is an "operating” file size.  What you see in the bottom just shows you what it’s taking up to operate.  That will grow as you build more layers etc.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 02:59:22 PM »
Hey can I ask a question also, I tried to open up a illy file in photoshop and low and behold the file is not sized right, I went through all the crop to options and still not showing the full image... so what in the world have I done wrong?
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 03:30:38 PM »
I've had that happen if the image is off the page a little in the Illy file, as though there is a clipping mask.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 03:38:59 PM »
Photoshop also likes to open files at 72dpi by default unless you change that in the preferences. And when copying and placing, it will default to 72dpi (and it changes the dimensions of the file in proportion to 72dpi) it’s still a good file, but you must uncheck resample, ...and then resize it to 300dpi of the tis what you are using.

Also, like you and Stever were mentioning, if the file is not all the way in the document...and you open the document, it will be cut off.  I often select what I want in the vector, and do a copy and paste into photoshop. Then, I can change to inches, and put in my size (usually exact same size). But that’s where I then up my resolution from the default 72ppi to 600ppi without modifying the art. Then, all text is crisp and clean, and everything is sooo much more easily selected and pulled apart for seps. (Always turn off anti-aliasing).

This first image below, shows you what you should not do. The programs recognize “page documents” that’s where your art should be.   Within the document.  I had a guy send me an art file the other day, and he for some reason moved the art off the page, (cuz it was white art) on a white background. So he moved it off so I could see it on that darker bra ground. But this then did not translate over when I opened it. It was all gone. Empty. So Illy and Photoshop don’t like to recognize stuff on the outside of the page when opening in another program.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 04:02:47 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850