Author Topic: What brand of base do yall use for Waterbase printing?  (Read 3066 times)

Offline Raw Paw

• Verified/Junior
What brand of base do yall use for Waterbase printing?
« on: March 27, 2021, 08:13:58 PM »
Hello there!  I'm curious what y'alls preferred base for Waterbased printing.

We've been using CCI W-BASE for a couple years now, and I'm starting to have lots of issues with how watery certain mixes are..  It can make printing consistently clean halftones near impossible.  The ink is so thin it will bleed through the screen during a standard flood on 110 mesh.  We've used Matsui Clear 301 a bit and I prefer the thickness of the ink.  It's less translucent than the CCI W-BASE and has a strange odor, but I love printing with it.  It has the same consistency as the Green Galaxy Clear Core + Opaque core combo.  We moved away from the Green Galaxy bases because it's annoying having to use two bases for every Waterbase mix.

Are there any other bases I should be aware of?  We still use CCI CMS pigments, D-BASE and D-WHITE and have no problems there.  Thanks!
Live by the blade, Die by the blade

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: What brand of base do yall use for Waterbase printing?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 11:55:18 PM »
We have switched to Magna Colours. The quality of the inks and the range of products leave nothing to be desired.
Have a look
https://www.magnacolours.com/

Distributors are here
https://www.magnacolours.com/distributors/#North%20America%20&%20Canada

Enjoy:)

Offline Pangea

• !!!
  • Jack of all trades, master of none.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 10:46:58 AM »
110 mesh? Plenty of more knowledgeable members here but the lowest I go is 156-160 and that's for HSA white, occasionally DC white (if the art is thicker) and Permaset Super Cover. Typically for any pigmented/RFU I'll go 200-230. We run Matsui/CCI/GG CMS systems and bases depending on the job.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 08:07:07 PM »
we use matsui inks. Mainly 301. 110 is pretty low for a base.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Raw Paw

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 07:35:25 PM »
We use 110 to do large fills of color with wb / dc, or tote bags.  We hand print everything, so the 110 helps sometimes in regards to printing those large areas of color.  Our standard mesh for wb / dc is 150, and for halftone / dither / simulated process we go up to 230.  So 110 is more of an exception.  Also, we use 230 for underbase screens, not 110.  I specifically meant that for certain ink mixes, the W-BASE is too watery to hold detail on a halftone, and watery to the point that the ink will start dropping through the open mesh while the screen is loaded
Live by the blade, Die by the blade

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 08:13:59 PM »
i'm thinking that since the w-base is a low solids, that's partly why it's so thin/runny. So if you find a medium solid, or high solid ink, you'll probably fair a bit better.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 06:09:22 PM »
I want to play with some water base and discharge. Is there a water base (not discharge) that will look great with a p/f/p?
Also- do you wash the shirts first or tell the end user to wash. A distributor told me that it is not necessary...
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 09:06:54 PM »
I want to play with some water base and discharge. Is there a water base (not discharge) that will look great with a p/f/p?
Also- do you wash the shirts first or tell the end user to wash. A distributor told me that it is not necessary...
You can`t beat MagnaColour Aquaflex V2 white. It just so white and so opaque.
Anyway, MagnaColour inks for waterbase all day every day.

We only wash discharged tees if we print for schools or kindergartens. Before Covid we used to do  a lot of band merchandise that was all printed with discharge, never washed those tees before shipping to client.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 10:00:58 PM »

We only wash discharged tees if we print for schools or kindergartens. Before Covid we used to do  a lot of band merchandise that was all printed with discharge, never washed those tees before shipping to client.

All clothing needs to be washed before wearing. Even non printed garments can and do have formaldehyde in it plus other tasty ingredients

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 03:09:54 PM »

All clothing needs to be washed before wearing. Even non printed garments can and do have formaldehyde in it plus other tasty ingredients

This forum really needs a like button.

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 08:55:22 AM »
okay- I have a question. Is there a calculation to mix the amount of ink needed for a job. I had to print 12 towels. The print is 12" x 18". I mixed 600 grams of ink thinking it would be plenty. I had enough ink and left overs but the ink was climbing the squeegee so I had to scrape it down every other towel to keep the screen flooded. Do I need more ink or more reducer?
Thanks.
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 08:11:05 PM »
okay- I have a question. Is there a calculation to mix the amount of ink needed for a job. I had to print 12 towels. The print is 12" x 18". I mixed 600 grams of ink thinking it would be plenty. I had enough ink and left overs but the ink was climbing the squeegee so I had to scrape it down every other towel to keep the screen flooded. Do I need more ink or more reducer?
Thanks.
Magna Colours Pantone matching software has that feature you are looking for.