Author Topic: CLEAN ECO FRIENDLY INKS?  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
CLEAN ECO FRIENDLY INKS?
« on: April 05, 2021, 09:47:36 AM »
I have a customer looking for “clean” or eco friendly inks to be used on their shirts. It’s a FARM that promotes all clean foods.

Rick Roth from Mirror Image used to promote an ink that you could actually ingest or (could eat it). I haven’t hear much about that ink for a long time. Perhaps they no longer offer other that?  Anyone have any sources to a clean or (the most) clean, eco friendly  ink?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: CLEAN ECO FRIENDLY INKS?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 10:05:15 AM »
DTG would be your best bet, especially CMYK only.  About the only inks in the shop I wouldn't freak out if I got in my mouth would be the Brother inks(which are very similar to all the other DTG inks)

The amount of waste from those machines is tiny compared to traditional printing.

I think you could really sell it by promoting the much smaller carbon and waste footprint of DTG.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 10:34:29 AM »
But, who the hell is eating shirts?

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 11:24:31 AM »
But, who the hell is eating shirts?

Steve

LOL.  I getchya.   My wife turns on the TV when I come home from work because I like white noise in the background. But she always puts on this disgusting show about people eating strange things. One women eats fabric softener. Another eats cotton, another “dry wall”.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Online rusty

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 11:30:38 AM »
living ink has an algae ink for screen printing on t-shirts. I believe it's only available in black. Other than that you can make some with plant dyes using seaweed base as a thickener for printing. only to be used on light shirts

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 01:28:15 PM »
living ink has an algae ink for screen printing on t-shirts. I believe it's only available in black. Other than that you can make some with plant dyes using seaweed base as a thickener for printing. only to be used on light shirts

NICE!  Thanks!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 01:32:35 PM »
there are two standards to look at. GOTS and OEKO-TEX.
GOTS is soil/farmer friendly certification, OEKO-TEX is about the content of the inks.

Magna has always been very committed to being ECO friendly. We use some of their product for the customers trying to have minimal impact.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 06:15:00 PM »
alot of the matsui inks are certified as well.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 09:11:19 PM »
Permaset is all GOTS approved

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 09:31:27 PM »
MagnaColours AquaFlex V2 range of inks are approved for use as inputs in the production of GOTS certified products.