Author Topic: My understanding of the phthalate regulations  (Read 3860 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
My understanding of the phthalate regulations
« on: April 03, 2011, 08:56:27 PM »
just like lead, currently phthalate content is limited to 300 ppm (parts per million) and as of 2012 it will be 100ppm.
Currently there are no certified labs to conduct the testing and the certification is stayed indefinitely. While there are labs that can test the phthalate content, there is no standard way of doing it and until that is resolved, certification requirements are on hold.
Just as the lead, I do not know what will have to be tested, ink lots, each new design or if the certificate from the manufacturer will be enough . . .
based on below, this applies to toys for 12 and younger and child care articles for 3 and younger.

from CPSIA:
What kind of products does the phthalates prohibition apply to?

Three phthalates, DEHP, DBP, and BBP, have been permanently prohibited by Congress in concentration of more than 0.1% in ?children?s toys? or ?child care articles.? A ?children?s toy? means a product intended for a child 12 years of age or younger for use when playing, and a ?child care article? means a product that a child 3 and younger would use for sleeping, feeding, sucking or teething.

Three additional phthalates, DINP, DIDP, and DnOP, have been prohibited pending further study and review by a group of outside experts and the Commission. This interim prohibition applies to child care articles or toys that can be placed in a child?s mouth or brought to the mouth and kept in the mouth so that it can be sucked or chewed that contains a concentration of more than 0.1% of the above phthalates.

Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!