Author Topic: Voodoo Octoberfest at SGIA 2011 by Deborah Sexton  (Read 25880 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Voodoo Octoberfest at SGIA 2011 by Deborah Sexton
« on: January 16, 2012, 05:36:39 PM »
Voodoo Octoberfest Raises More Than $30,000
For New Orleans Musicians Assistance Fund

please see the bottom for the shirt purchase link!

Voodoo Octoberfest, a fund-raising event held at the Howlin’ Wolf in New Orleans on Thursday, Oct. 20 raised more than $30,000 for the New Orleans Musicians Assistance Fund (NOMAF). This money will be used to provide struggling musicians access to health and social services regardless of their ability to pay.

Organized by Rick Roth, owner, Mirror Image, Pawtucket, R.I. along with Jacob Edwards and Dameon Guess of Jakprints, the industry party hosted nearly 800 attendees. “This is the most successful fund-raiser I have ever produced,” says Roth. “In tough economic times it was heartening to see the generosity of Hanes and of some of our allies in the screen printing industry."

NOMAF director Bethany Bultman says, “The kind of support that we have received from the screen printing industry is very rare. They started assisting us in 2000 and never stopped, and it is going into the future. So many people were here right after Katrina and then quickly gone, so this kind of commitment is so sustaining. It helps us to keep the music alive, which keeps New Orleans alive.”

Highlights of the evening included 70-year-old Irma Thomas rocking the house with a soulful rendition of her most popular classics, and the Hot 8 Brass Band keeping the party going with its stirring rhythm and blues in the best New Orleans tradition. The Hot 8 happily donned their NOMAF shirts to perform in and also testified from the stage as to the great work that the NOMAF did for musicians in the community. Davis Rogan (the real life man that the HBO series Treme main character Davis played by Steve Zahn is based on) started the evening off with a jazz set.

If you had to miss the party, there are still plenty of opportunities to contribute by purchasing a New Orleans T-shirt with the proceeds going to NOMAF or making a donation. Merchandise, which will include the front design featured at the show as well as three other designs (with more in the works) will be offered and you can find links at voodoooctoberfest.com, indiemerch.com, nomaf.org, and theshirtboard.com. Donations can be sent directly to NOMAF at 1525 Louisiana Ave., New Orleans, La 70115 or online at NOMAF.org

Many thanks to this event’s sponsors who include the main sponsor, Hanes Printables, as well as Rutland Ink, Hirsch International, KIWO, Easiway Systems, Jakprints, Saati, Printwear, OLEC, Mirror Image, Stretch Devices and Douthitt. Additional support has come from Boston Beer, S & S Activewear, Etchomatic, Multicraft, Unionwear.com, Price-it Software, and www.theshirtboard.com.

For more information, visit the Voodoo Octoberfest Facebook page at http://tinyurl.com/3sqcfu5/ or the main web site voodoooctoberfest.com.

The Voodoo Octoberfest, held at the Howlin’ Wolf in New Orleans on Thursday, Oct. 20, 2011, offered great music, food, and fun for attendees. More than 800 people attended. Photo courtesy of Scott Langley.

The Howlin’ Wolf generously donated their space for the Voodoo Octoberfest. It is a long time supporter of NOMAF. The Howlin’ Wolf was named for the legendary bluesman Chester Burnett, and has a long history as one of New Orleans’ finest locally owned and operated venues. Its current space is in the Warehouse District of New Orleans in what was the New Orleans Music Hall. http://www.thehowlinwolf.com/ Photo courtesy of Scott Langley.

Attendees to the Voodoo Halloweenfest each got a tote bag and a T-shirt featuring the event logo. Shirts were printed by Mirror Image, Pawtucket, R.I. Artwork was done by Brian Lessard, Rutland. courtesy of Scott Langley.

The evening’s opening act was Davis Rogan, a musician, songwriter, bandleader, and former WWOZ DJ. He founded the funk band All That. Rogan was the inspiration for the Davis McAlary character in HBO's "Treme" series and also a consultant for the show. http://davisrogan.com/ Photo courtesy of Scott Langley.

Irma Thomas at 70 years old can still bring down the house with her unique style and powerful voice. This soul singer is known for classics such as "It's Raining,” "Ruler Of My Heart," and "Time Is on My Side.” www.irmathomas.com
Photo courtesy of Scott Langley.

Irma Thomas is known as the "Soul Queen of New Orleans." In 2007, she won the Grammy for Best Contemporary Blues Album for “After the Rain,” her first Grammy in an acclaimed career spanning more than 45 years. Photo courtesy of Scott Langley.

Backing up Irma Thomas on guitar is Arthur Bell. Thomas was the second of three New Orleans acts that played during Voodoo Halloweenfest held at the Howlin’ Moon. Photo courtesy of Scott Langley.

The Hot 8 Brass Band is a New Orleans-based brass band that blends hip-hop, marching music, jazz, and funk styles with traditional New Orleans brass sounds. They proudly put on their event T-shirts to wear during the show. Photo courtesy of Scott Langley.

The Hot 8 Brass Band plays in second line parades hosted Sunday afternoons by Social Aid and Pleasure Clubs in the New Orleans area. They also play at traditional jazz funerals and at local jazz nightclubs. www.hot8brassband.com  Photo courtesy of Scott Langley.

Playing trumpet with the Hot 8 Brass Band is Alvarez “Big Al” Huntley. Hot 8 appeared in Spike Lee's 2006 documentary “When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts.” www.hot8brassband.com Photo courtesy of Scott Langley.

From left are Bethany Bultman (chair of board of NOMAF), Rick Roth, president, Mirror Image, event organizer, and David Eisenbeiss, CEO, Kiwo. Photo courtesy of Scott Langley.

From left are  Emily Andre, editor, Printwear (sponsor), David Eisenbeiss, CEO, Kiwo, (sponsor), Irma Thomas, and event organizer Rick Roth. Photo courtesy of Scott Langley.

David Eisenbeiss CEO, KIWO, Seabrook, Texas, one of the sponsors, enjoys the great music that highlighted this wonderful event. Photo courtesy of Scott Langley.

Al Mora, Doughitt Corp., Detroit, Mich., another of the great sponsors, shows off his event shirt. Photo courtesy of Scott Langley.

A big thank you to these volunteers from the New Orleans Lion’s club who assisted with passing out shirts and tote bags. Photo courtesy of Scott Langley.

anybody wishing to extend more help can purchase a shirt here:
http://www.indiemerchstore.com/b/bent-not-broken/
proceeds of the sale are going to the NOMAF
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!