Author Topic: 3140 tripping the breaker . . .  (Read 7172 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: 3140 tripping the breaker . . .
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 01:55:35 PM »
is it a metal halide bulb?

the capacitors might need to be looked at - ive changed the capacitors in a douthitt exposure because they werent able to make the bulb strike. might be something similar in your 3140.  just an idea.

it strikes fine. Breaker usually trips after the strike is completed and the other circuit takes over. I used to see it trip right after the strike, but now it sometimes runs for a little bit and then trips.

The wiring looks fine, nothing is lose in the panel. I'm about to put another breaker in. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 02:08:19 PM »
I want to play the guessing game. I have 3 rentals and one of them had alot of this. Believe it or not it was the breaker location. It was for the ac and they had both breakers on one pole and it needed one breaker on each pole to draw enough power. Not that this is what your problem is. Its just another option to try, move the breaker to a new pole. (if you have a 2 pole box) I could be way off on this.

I wanted to add breakers take a while to throw (a min to 2 is not uncommon). So depending on your exposure time the problem may have always been there. Add in the weakening of the breaker and you may have your answer. This is really all guessing, Just trying to help.

Whats the draw on the unit and what breaker are you using. It could just be a undersized breaker. (I know, you know what your doing but you have to ask.)

I found this on a forum:

the normal breaker size for wire size is,
#14 wire 15 amp breaker,
#12 wire 20 amp breaker,
#10 wire 30 amp breaker,
but should not be loaded for a continuous load of more the 80%
15 amp breaker and #14 wire, 12 amps,
20 amp breaker and #12 wire, 16 amps,
30 amp breaker and #10 wire, 24 amps,

If you have 18 amps on your unit you should be at 30 amp breaker and #10 wire, 24 amps
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 02:50:29 PM by Screened Gear »

Offline RonH

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 03:05:34 PM »
I did a quick read thru the messages and could have missed this, but if you have not done so check to be sure the transformer taps are set correctly.  As others have mentioned, check all connections all the way to the lamp to be sure that they are clean and tight.  If you are still having problems call M&R and ask to speak with Israel Martinez, he knows this unit very well and can help you troubleshoot it.  If you have a VOM, he will be able to help point you in the right direction.

Ron Hopkins
NuArc Sales Manager
M&R Sales and Service
O: 770-254-1584
C: 847-997-2487

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 09:57:29 PM »
Hey if your digging into this this weekend let me know I could stop up and give you a hand.
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 11:34:45 PM »
Swapped the breaker and seem to be doing ok. It was on a 20A and have a 30 now. My clamp on meter battery is out so could not check that. If this fixes it it will be a moot point.  Thanx for all the help!

Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!