Author Topic: Separation software dilema  (Read 13141 times)

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
Separation software dilema
« on: February 13, 2012, 05:19:38 PM »
Hi there. More questions from me.
Which separation software are you using and what do you like about it?
I was looking at Ultra Sept, T-Seps, Quick seps, Wilflex Easy Art......... No particular order.
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger and buying something. It is not that I will be doing a lot if advanced stuff, but if I could save 10-20 hours in next year, I would be ready to spend few hundred bucks.

Please do not answer "I use Dan", or "I use My Seps guy" or something like that. I know that Dan and other guys are great, but I need something that I can access at any time ag get the seps in few minutes. If something more complicated comes up, I will give them a call and outsource printing to someone else if the order is bigger.  ( ;) P)

Thanks

Offline jason-23

• FONTNINJA
Re: Separation software dilema
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 05:35:18 PM »
Dan is the best at what he does in the sep world. Quick seps plug in for photoshop works pretty dang good with some adjustments here and there.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 05:56:42 PM »
Don't all of the options besides Dan offer a free trial?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 07:18:26 PM »
QuikSeps Pro. Can't say that it's better or worse than the others, as it's the only one I've ever used. I originally bought it new off eBay for $150, when Fresener was selling his product for substantially more. The one thing Fresener's latest set of actions are alleged to have are process on dark shirts, which I've pulled off in tests, but it'd be nice to have something quick and dirty to use if only for a good starting place. The one thing I'd like to see is stochastic process color plug-ins or actions for Photoshop with an underbase and highlight.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 08:38:51 PM »
I use easyart and quik seps.  There are features of both I like better than the other.  Overall, EasyArt is easier to use.

But, even owning both of those programs...I use dan.  I don't have to jack around with the prints once they are on the press.  Set it up and done.  It's a matter of how much your time is worth.

If I had the time, I'd learn how to better sep

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 09:13:34 PM »
but I need something that I can access at any time and get the seps in few minutes.

HA!  Ok. Seriously, it's a pipe dream. None of them are push button without tweaking so there goes the few minutes dream.  You can have any of them do what they do by pushing the button and some do use the seps (as is).  That don't mean they are good but hey, many people print that stuff as is and sell shirts so, why not you as well. Even Mark Coudray's (out of the can) seps need tweaking before using. To get his "pro seps" you need to pay $25.00- $50.00 per color for the high end stuff.

I cant't say what one is best for the price as they seem to all be pretty much equal in end result. Just add skills to each one to enhance them. They are a tool to speed up the process for many people.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Online Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 09:21:18 PM »
I started with easyart -and found out it ain't any easier. I now do my own in PS. . I would save the coin and start watching all the youtube vids you can find on manual seps in PS. . .you will be way ahead. . not to say those programs are bad or anything, Wayne just bought something he was telling me he liked, I forgot what it was, maybe he'll chime in here. . .I run a little different than most, I want to be in control, I don't like waiting for people and I don't like excuse why it's not done -so I do it all myself. . .maybe not the right way all the time, but if I fail, it's at my own hand -not because someone forgot to send the e-mail. . .on the other hand, sending out does free up a ton of time for you to focus on what you know, or to better hone your craft and let the experts like Dan take care of the rest. . not what you wanted to hear, I know, but probably the best way to go. . .
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 09:41:43 PM »
I like the 'Make custom channel" action in easy art.  I use that to do my own seps.  I am sure there is a good action for free on that one.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 09:53:25 PM »
@ Homer,

I had to check my emails to see if you were talking about me.  ;D My excuse for not getting an email out on time was true. ;) It was all Pierre's fault for playing with my computer and installing stuff while I was at his shop. ;) Although, I have been known to forget something now and then. :-[
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 08:05:50 AM »
Thanks guys..... and Dan :)
Yes, I know that tere is a need to tweak som stuff to get the good seps with the programs like that. I'm not great with PS , but I can get around. I'm much more comfortable with Illy and InDesign.
Dan, I know that there is no magic button to make seps, but with having a full time job, having to deal with my private business (printing, embroidering, web design......) and with having two small boys and wanting to spend some time with them, any savings on time and money is a big plus. If I can get away with doing a  simple 4-5 color seps in 20-25 minutes instead of an hour, I'll take it. If I get jobs that are 7-8 colors, I would not even attempt to separate them and I can not even print them. That is where someone like you and Pierre come in.

I know that first thing I need is a RIP, I'm looking at the FilmMaker for Epson 1100. After that, I will try some of the sep software and see where it goes.

Thanks guys again, if someone else wants to share something, I'm eager to hear more.

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 08:35:10 AM »
I would say even thought you said not to...go with a pro...we have two in house artists that are awesome, but subbing it out works much better....we know it is going to work on the press...we are trying to get more and more sim process work, and until we are doing 4-5 a week we will keep subbing it....we are thinking of having Dan come up and do what he did with Pierre to us....

sam

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 09:21:10 AM »
Sam, why don't you just hire Dan?  He can be like a kept woman.  ;D

Offline aauusa

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 09:51:54 AM »
I use fast films.  It was simple to learn and the more you use it the better you get.  Yes I have outsourced films but that is because i was in a crunch for time and the job was big enough to allow for the cost.   

But a little of my background is that I started screenprint and art 11 years ago and did tons of r&d to get to where I am at.  It is ironic that I started with corel for all art then went to photo shop because of fastfilms and now I am back in corel and creating all of the thing I did in photoshop but now in vector in corel.   Both have there advantages.  I am now in the process of learning illustrator.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 01:34:09 PM »
Also Ultraseps.....newer and better. And yes you can try a demo.

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 02:06:41 PM »
Dear MK162
I doesn`t matter what sep software you try
you can start with the one most printers prefer
you know what is a printable dot you can hold
and stick to the one you enjoy working with
just a thought