Author Topic: Separation software dilema  (Read 13140 times)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Separation software dilema
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 02:43:24 PM »
that is true, but ease of use is a major factor.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 04:10:09 PM »
Well, I learned before the sep packages came out, but I do like QuikSeps Pro, and have installed the newer UltraSeps upgrade, but haven't had time to  use it just yet, waiting for the next image that needs it. They are OK right out, but you will notice stuff on press and see why most of us say to tweak the files, and experience is everything on this, so go for it. But if you need something quick, and excellent, Dan has done that for me too. When one of my artists was on vacation last year, and I was too busy, that was the route I went, and I had it in the morning. So, maybe it depends on the situation at the moment...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline artprofile

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 01:20:00 PM »
I use Quikseps - it gives good results. I have also tried a trial version of T-seps - also not bad, something better than something worse, but still every design need to be corrected. so that we can safely opt for Ultraseps! All the best.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 03:42:55 PM »
I just downloaded the Separation Studio. Ran few images through it and had a smorgasbord of results.

the good:
user interface
speed
usable results (from what I can tell).
Crips! with a capitol C.

the bad:
almost all the results required tweaking in the curves.
does not work well with other than black background (unless I am missing something).

please remember, I only had about six hours with it so far and there might be stuff that I am missing.
For example, I have a print going on the green shirt and the program is leaving the dark areas open assuming a black background. This is now coming through as green rather than black.
The results for the piece we are printing are actually remarkably crisp. Sufficiently enough that I am considering buying it. I will keep playing with it for few more days and hopefully remember to update.

Pretty sure I would print it as generated on the first pass, but still it looks like it could be a game changer!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 03:44:38 PM »
Crips! with a capitol C.

Shoot, those folks are as bad as the Bloods. 

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 03:51:44 PM »
LOL, that was supposed to say Crisp!

pj
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 04:16:52 PM »

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 04:47:57 PM »
Right now on a local Craigslist, near Worcester, MA, where Sam is, a guy is selling a 1400, and a copy of AccuRIP for $200... that's dirt cheap

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 06:14:29 PM »
QuikSeps Pro...........hey pierre u doing a little moonlighting on Dan with the sep software?  :o

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 10:12:09 PM »
QuikSeps Pro...........hey pierre u doing a little moonlighting on Dan with the sep software?  :o

yeah, we needed something done right away and Dan was not available so I gave it a try!

Offline David005

• Verified/Junior
Separation software dilema
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 10:52:05 PM »
I was forced to learn photoshop , it's pretty simple to learn the basics, especially when I offer 24 hr turn

Offline ravenmark

• Verified/Junior
  • Derek
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 07:58:43 AM »
I have a print going on the green shirt and the program is leaving the dark areas open assuming a black background. This is now coming through as green rather than black.

Previous versions had 3 different black plates to choose from. Find the one you prefer for lights and darks a adjust to your liking.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 09:36:38 AM »
I have a print going on the green shirt and the program is leaving the dark areas open assuming a black background. This is now coming through as green rather than black.

Previous versions had 3 different black plates to choose from. Find the one you prefer for lights and darks a adjust to your liking.

thanx! tried that, but will revisit and spend a little more time with it. We'll make it work in the end . . .

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 04:13:57 PM »
yo@ MK what separation software did you end up buying
just curious?
i might be looking for some software for sepping as well

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 04:40:44 PM »
Just my .02 here. 

Quick background... I have been doing color seperations since the winter of 2000.  I went through 4 sep programs in 6 months before I gave up in frustration and taught myself how to sep by hand and how to automate the begining portion of what I do, all in order to acheive a superior product.

Dan has it right.  There is not a single sep program available that you will not have to spend 15 minutes to an hour fixing the results of.

I have personally watched several images almost dissapear through push button programs.  This is due to the pre-programmed set of curves and adjustments those programs do during thier color generating process.

Push button sep programs are all very very very image dependant for the results you want.  The brighter and more saturated the image, the better your results are.  The more "primary" your colors are (in the RGB computer color spectrum) the better your seperation will be.

With that said, the more popular programs have a better user interface.  Go with the one that gives you the best customer service and walkthrough.

Just understand that you will not be saving as much time as you hope to with your purchase.  But yes, you will save some time :)
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.