Author Topic: Diamondback XL air requirements  (Read 2848 times)

Offline head north

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
Diamondback XL air requirements
« on: February 20, 2012, 09:27:02 AM »
Hi all -
We're about to buy a Diamondback XL 8/10 (very excited!) and would like to upgrade our compressor to a screw type as well.  My question is - do I have any wiggle room with the 32cfm recommendation for the press?  Most of the time it will just be run by 1 operator so nowhere near full speed.  The 7.5hp screw compressors are around 24cfm - is that way too low and should we just go with a 10hp? 
Anyone running one (or similar) - what are you using?
Thanks!
Scott
Head North Printing
www.headnorthprinting.com

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Diamondback XL air requirements
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 10:44:00 AM »
you should be ok, but I would just go bigger frankly.

Those numbers are for running the press with all heads at near full speed.  But, what's to say you don't have a big job that comes in with an 8 color print on white and you need to get through some numbers.  It's embarrassing to be held back by lack of air pressure.

You might as well get what the press requires now if you are buying a new one.

Offline beanie357

• !!!
  • Patience begets quality
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 04:24:20 PM »
With any machinery, while painful financially for the logistical utilities to have it work correctly, it pays to be at spec or above in the long run. Air likes to have a bunch, and we generally look for at least 25% over on a requirement figure. Also lets the equaipment loaf a little, and keeps the machine using the air, gas, water or electric mighty happy. (electric breaker ratings come off a chart for code BTW)

Offline head north

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 04:39:54 PM »
Thanks guys.  It's not that we're looking to skimp on the compressor - more so just wondering how much of the cfm requirements are based on top speed, using all print heads, etc.
Scott
Head North Printing

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 04:49:05 PM »
Always spec'd for full bore running, and usually a little overstated.

If they say 34 CFM and you buy a 34 CFM compressor you will never have
an air consumption issue and will be happy with M&R. If they say 20 CFM
and you buy a 20 CFM compressor and you need 34 CFM you will be angry
with M&R. Best interest for them is to recommend a larger compressor
than you will need.

You can gang compressors down the road. But buy the biggest you can afford now,
and preferably a screw type, especially if it's in the building with you.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 05:49:59 PM »
I would 2nd the advice on a rotary screw compressor. I have a 2 stage 5hp ingersol rand piston and in my 800 sq ft shop talk about LOUD!

Offline innothread

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 07:17:34 PM »
I only have a 5hp IR rotary screw that runs our diamondback XL and I haven't had any problems, although the fastest i've ran it is 48 dozen/hr and have yet to try that fast with 8 colors, but with 7 colors it has been fine.  The compressor has 100% duty cycle, so it can run non stop unlike others.  I also haven't maxed out the 20" print length yet either, so I'm sure that will take more air.  A single press operator would have no issues with a good 5 hp compressor with this press.

All that said I would definitely go with the 7.5 or 10hp if you can.  We couldn't because of power issues in our building.  Hope this helps.
InnoThread Graphics
screen printing & embroidery

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 07:33:28 PM »
Hi all -
We're about to buy a Diamondback XL 8/10 (very excited!) and would like to upgrade our compressor to a screw type as well.  My question is - do I have any wiggle room with the 32cfm recommendation for the press?  Most of the time it will just be run by 1 operator so nowhere near full speed.  The 7.5hp screw compressors are around 24cfm - is that way too low and should we just go with a 10hp? 
Thanks!
The press will run perfectly fine on 5hp of air as long as you are not running all cylinders on the press at wide open speeds which no one does. We alway over rate our needs to ensure maximum productivity. If you can get a 7.5 or 10 for future growth but if not ther is no way you will need more air running by yourself no matter how good you are.
Rich Hoffman

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 07:44:54 PM »
In that case a 5HP compressor would as well cover the needs of A Diamondback S 10/8 just fine?

Offline head north

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 09:56:44 AM »
Thanks, innothread and Rich.  We were planning on a 7.5hp rotary screw but it's cfm is about 24 max.  Didn't know if we needed to bump it up to a 10hp but it seems like it will be just fine.
Scott
Head North Printing

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 10:21:46 AM »
Also @ SCOTT if you have a spare piston driven compressor you can disable it
and use only the tank to store the air
it can also work as a back up in case the screw driven one goes down
just my 2 pesos

Offline gotshirtz001

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 03:13:01 AM »
Hi all -
Thanks!
The press will run perfectly fine on 5hp of air as long as you are not running all cylinders on the press at wide open speeds which no one does. We alway over rate our needs to ensure maximum productivity. If you can get a 7.5 or 10 for future growth but if not ther is no way you will need more air running by yourself no matter how good you are.

Hi Rich, thanks for always being so involved with the community.
I am looking at both a Diamondback R 8/7 and Diamondback S 8/7 for a one-man operation... Would a 5hp rotary screw be appropriate for both of these? Or would the R require a 7.5hp?
I'm flexible until I'm not

Offline farmboygraphics

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 07:24:23 AM »
We run a Diamondback S on a 7.5 IR Rotary Screw with an additional 500 gallon upright tank. I've run the press for hours some days without turning the compressor on. Overkill...yup. :-)
Tees and Coffee

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 08:02:24 PM »
We run a Diamondback S on a 7.5 IR Rotary Screw with an additional 500 gallon upright tank. I've run the press for hours some days without turning the compressor on. Overkill...yup. :-)
500 Gallon is rather big I have to say. We have 2 x 100 Gallon tanks and don`t get anywhere near running for hour without the compressor kicking in. Ours is as well a 7.5 Atlas CopCo screw compressor. I assume though once the tank is running on empty it takes a fair amount of time for it to be refilled. Is your compressor in an enclosure?

Offline farmboygraphics

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2018, 08:45:04 PM »
Is your compressor in an enclosure?

No, very quiet. It's about 15 feet from the press. I got a pretty good deal on the tank, it's also nice for running aux lines off of for around the shop.
Tees and Coffee