Author Topic: A cad-cut trick I just learned  (Read 4386 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: A cad-cut trick I just learned
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 11:28:27 AM »
That sounds like a great solution from someone who had the same problem as me. That's exactly the type of thing that we learn from fellow workers, bosses, and now, especially for newbies and those of us on our own, from fellow tradespeople on these forums!
That's why I was so jazzed and jumped in so deeply when I first learned of this resource back in '05, a latecomer by many's standards.
But otherwise, where else would you get these tidbits?

Going from a  large shop environment to working on my own was a huge change! Long live the boards, eh Jill?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline cyw

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 11:30:55 AM »
Here's the link to the commercial macro I (sometimes) use.

http://www.gdgmacros.com/details.php?prodId=38

Below is one of the choices you can produce. I used the samples I posted for Jill's font search to simulate Andy's ad-hoc name placement.

Offline cyw

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 11:36:04 AM »
Guess I should have posted the wireframe view, huh?
just in case anyone is wondering,

No, those weed lines don't cut THROUGH the text.
They STOP right at the cut lines.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 11:39:38 AM »
Thats the third product I've seen using a variation of Easy Weed, EZ Weed. Easyweed, etc, lol!

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 11:43:49 AM »
A good trick with weeding detailed vinyl is to roll up the vinyl first throw it in the freezer for a bit and pull out, the cut lines will actually shrink a bit and the lines open up.

As for trying to spot the cuts on thermal film the best way is to work with a light almost at the level of the table and look at the film from as steep of an angle as possible.
"No man is an island"

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 01:13:04 PM »
Well, since you mentioned this thread Andy, I'll resurect it like Osiris (yeah yeah, it's been longer than three days :p ).

Inkman, are you saying to freeze sticker vinyl or t-shirt vinyl.  Sticker vinyl definitely reacts to heat as I left some the seat of the car... exciting.

So Andy... in your example do you then weed all the excess around leaving the blocks to be cut away with a knife or something?  Basically making the "lines" more visible?

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2011, 01:21:59 PM »
I was referencing sign Vinyl, small details that are really hard to weed can be thrown in the freezer to help separate the cut lines. Or you can forget weeding it on its backing and apply the whole thing to the substrate and weed it off there it sticks much better.
"No man is an island"

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2011, 02:45:23 PM »
So Andy... in your example do you then weed all the excess around leaving the blocks to be cut away with a knife or something?  Basically making the "lines" more visible?

If the piece is small, I'll weed to the blocks, and then each block. If large, I'll use the lines as trim lines to make thew weeding more manageable.