Author Topic: Hey Nazdar -----  (Read 7423 times)

Offline T Shirt1

• !!!
Hey Nazdar -----
« on: March 23, 2012, 12:06:26 PM »
PLEASE stop using those gosh darned foam peanuts for packing.  The last order we had we taped the box closed, put it in a bag of trash and put that bag toward the bottom of the dumpster. A dumpster diver sniffed it out and Monday morning the peanuts were all over the place. 

Thanks,
steve
steve

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Hey Nazdar -----
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 12:23:36 PM »
I agree that peanuts, both the plastic and natural ones are a pain, but I save them for reuse in a large garbage bag or two, and when I get too many, the local copy/mailbox/shipping store loves the donation.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 12:27:50 PM »
I also save them. 

My friend is a glass blower - he ships all over and is happy to take all my "used" packing peanuts.

Ive also heard them referred to as "cargo cashews"

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 12:30:45 PM »
I get lots of boxes with peanuts in them.......Although they are a PITA, I would hate to see what the contents and/or boxes would look like it they were shipped without them....

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 03:25:04 PM »
Every October I fill up my sisters car, pool, door ways or whatever I can with them. It always is the start of the fall pranks in our family. Other than that I think it is terrible they can't use a more eco friendly packing? Ryonet also goes crazy with them they should have a ship back program

Sent  from samsung gem(the worst smart phone ever)
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 03:28:53 PM »
i like the plastic ones that are filled with air

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 06:46:02 PM »
Interesting side note paper mills outlawed these little critters years ago. Absolutely refused to accept them into the mill. Why...one little  styro-foam static clingy peanut becomes a sticky in a stock vat, in machinery or worst of all on the paper machine itself.
In the matter of minutes thousands of feet of finished paper is ruined because one of these litter buggers got onto a roller or into a stock vat and thus a sticky mark on the finished paper rendering tons of otherwise good paper as junk.
The paper industry was largely responsible for driving the evolution of the corn starch packing peanut, those tan / brownish critters. The value with them...they vanish in water, absolutely dissolve and are not static clingy.  Water is a commodity a paper mill up to their knees in, moist air, steam and tons and tons of water everywhere.

Just brought back some greatmemories of the working days calling on paper mills....loved it.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 09:34:16 AM »
PLEASE stop using those gosh darned foam peanuts for packing.  The last order we had we taped the box closed, put it in a bag of trash and put that bag toward the bottom of the dumpster. A dumpster diver sniffed it out and Monday morning the peanuts were all over the place. 

Thanks,
steve

Steve:  Thanks for bringing up this issue.  I agree that the packaging peanuts are a pain, but as others have posted their use as a packaging material to protect products from damage during shipping is very common throughout many industries.  With that said I will make a request to our Shipping and Logistics people to investigate other options that could be more user and/or eco-friendly, and I will get back to this board with any updates. 
Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 09:49:00 AM »
If someone needs to get in contact with these people, I can get them directly to sales. ;)
I work for them BTW
http://www.airpouch.com/

Offline beanie357

• !!!
  • Patience begets quality
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 08:05:34 PM »
Hate 'em, but for some items they quarantee a safe ship. We actually got some in scented like popcorn one time, and we liked the smell so much we forgot to hate the peanuts. Used to save them, but found wadded paper or clean refuse like that worked for most items. New, with a chute they are easy to use, but at the rx end, they create havoc. We just use a shop vac after checking in orders or we'd spend too much time cleaning up. One of my girls vas them out of the boxes into a 12 gal vac, then dumps the vac. Hmm.... wonder where those small parts went?

Offline Scobey Peterman

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 12:38:03 PM »
I asked my ink company not to use peanuts and my sales girls said the had to use them.  UPS requires them.  Helps to keep the ink buckets from breaking.
Quality over Quantity

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 05:26:33 PM »
Ummmm, shredded paper. I can then put it in recycling if I don't have a use for it.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 10:22:05 AM »
or the air pockets those things are easier, but I agree with bim, shredded paper is the way to go.  We recycle about 4 large rolling garbage cans and about 4 full shirt boxes of paper a month.  Plus all of our leftover boxes.  It's amazing what a small(er) shop can recycle.  Best of all, it's free, and it freed up space in the dumpster so I could downsize and save money each month.