Author Topic: Life expectancy  (Read 4802 times)

Offline FSUp Clothing

Life expectancy
« on: May 13, 2011, 12:04:32 AM »
How long can you expect a shirt with a Spectra eco-film pressed design to last?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Life expectancy
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 08:08:34 AM »
I'm not familiar with this. Since not many had replied, I'm thinking maybe it's something you need to contact the supplier about. It might still be new to most people.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 10:02:57 AM »
If it's a poly urethane base like Thermoflex Plus from Specialty Materials, then a long time. I have one that I used for a test that has easily been washed 50 times, and it looks like new. Still very soft to the touch, and flat, brilliant white, on a 100% cotton Royal Blue T.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 11:05:12 AM »
I just looked at this product it online. I didn't say anything before because I thought that it was one of those films for printing, so couldn't answer as the ink adds a new variable. That stuff is brand new for me and I thank Diane for anything I am learning in that field!

These polyurethane films like your Spectra Eco, Thermoflex Plus, and Siser Easy Weed as well as the old stand-by Thermo Film and its vinyl cousins, seem to last indefinitely for me as well. These are not your father's "iron-ons! (well maybe, your father's but not mine, lol!
As I tell my customers, it's not like I have never had a problem, but these problems tend to show themselves right away, and of course, indicate a screw-up in one of the variables of time, pressure, and temperature, assuming that the garment was dry and not contaminated with anything.

btw, I presently like Siser Easy Weed, but really like the attitude and support from Specialty Materials.They were freakn' great!
Even went and did some specific testing of stacking compatibility of certain films Thermo-Flex, washed them, and got back to me an hour later!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline cyw

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 03:10:57 PM »
Totally agree, Andy.
I like the Siser stuff I've tried.
I've also used that Eco stuff a lot and recently the new Super Film from Stahls.
So many choices these days...............not our father's vinyl at all!

Specialty material techs are the greatest in my book as well.
Through replacing bad rolls every now and again to spending hours helping me find an OLD red GlitterFlex dye lot that's actually red and not Pink.
Good folks.