Author Topic: Digitizing for foam (any last minute tips?)  (Read 2156 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Digitizing for foam (any last minute tips?)
« on: April 30, 2012, 12:27:50 PM »
I have read around and it seems that I should double my density, no underlay on the foam layer (obviously), and encapsulate the open ends of any design (kind of obvious, especially if you try it out without doing so I would imagine).

Is there any other tricks?

Should I lay down some underlay before I sew the foam in?

After having some bits of foam around for 6 months this will be my first attempt at it.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Digitizing for foam (any last minute tips?)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 12:32:34 PM »
Atleast double your density, turn off corner shortening if using that, use an edge underlay very dense stitch count this helps cut the foam cleaner, and loosen your thread tension a little. Other than that do some of your own experimenting it will help you more than us can probably.
"No man is an island"

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 12:36:10 PM »
As Inkman said, do edge (contour) underlay, I like to use run stitch and do those manually instead of letting the software do those for puff.
That is used to "tack" down the foam while the dense stitches are done.

Offline bj

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 02:11:49 PM »
I would try different thicknesses of foam to experiment with.  Also, make sure your foam matches your thread ex. Red foam=red thread etc... That way if there is any poking out it won't stand out too much. 
Are you digitizing the design?  If so, if the area you want to have foam is not the first color make sure to put a stop off to the side before your foam run so that you have room to physically place down your foam esp. if it is a big area. I saw18 heads run and it was much easier for the production line to place the foam if you went ahead and placed a stop off to the side.  It is easier for the production line and quicker for them. Hope that made sense.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 02:27:28 PM »
IMG_0293.MOV

good one here
3D Embroidery Tutorial

Something I did 2 weekend ago.
3D Puff

BTW, I prefer 3mm foam over 2 mm. I think that 2 mm is way too thin.
Also, after sewing is done, if you have some foam peeking from under the stitches, you can do the same thing they do in second video or you can go over it with a lighter. Flame will melt the foam that is sticking out (Do not keep the flame for a long time over one area :)  )

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 05:56:02 PM »
I use a heat gun to clean up the foam thats poking out and like DK I prefer the 3mm even thought I use the 2mm alot.  3mm just makes the 3D look better.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 07:03:49 PM »
we run our puff hats throught the screenprint dryer and it makes a HUGE difference.  Puff shrinks in nice and tight.
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"