Author Topic: Strange Request or maybe not  (Read 2831 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Strange Request or maybe not
« on: May 21, 2012, 10:05:55 AM »
Have you guys ever had a pass customer call and want to buy your screens and take to another printer.  Had that happen this morning, customer call last week needing more shirts printed well we tell them come on in and now they call this moring wanting shirts this week, we are jammed.  I,m thinking if this other printer knows waht he is doing he should have screens and film etc...this was a very simple job words only back and front.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Strange Request or maybe not
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 10:15:08 AM »
screens are not for sale, films are! My thought is, we will give the customer what ever they want. We try to do them right and if they need to go some place else they have the right to. If you are nice and they have a problem with the other guy, they will come back to you and be happy about it.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 10:16:34 AM »
If we're too busy to print for a customer, we'll run out films, (only for a fee if they tend to be jerks,) but screens?  No way. 

They'll complain they didn't work right, and get them back caked in catalyzed waterbase from Ryonet.   ;D

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 10:38:10 AM »
I have not had customers ask for that reason but I have had them ask because they do not want them reclaimed for whatever reason. I just show them the cost of a new Newman and ask if they are willing to pay. So far everyone has said no. I wish someone would take me up on it. Sell one for the new price and buy three more used. I could add to the collection pretty easy that way.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 10:56:50 AM »
Never give them your screens. Give them films, or send files to the printer who takes over, but the screens belong to you. If you hire a plumber, you don't get to keep his tools when he leaves...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 10:57:45 AM »
Well we ask did they mean film they said no they want the screen to make it as easy as possible for the other printer. Well to me the easy way is to get the film and just burn to your on frames, we have no problem in letting them have there art.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 11:20:28 AM »
I say let the other printer make his own films, I tell customers I will keep films for two years I do not give my films away, why give them to a Guy who is taking your work let their next printer do the entire job.

Sent  from samsung gem(the worst smart phone ever)
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 11:32:24 AM »
Darryl, why would they even think or know that you save their screens? Do you catalog screens for repeat jobs?
Tell them that you can send the files, but you re-use your frames.

That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 11:58:22 AM »
Well we ask did they mean film they said no they want the screen to make it as easy as possible for the other printer. Well to me the easy way is to get the film and just burn to your on frames, we have no problem in letting them have there art.

Darryl

EZ frames we use are about $100 each with mesh and the MHM bushings on them. For $150 they can have them!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 12:19:07 PM »
I once had a customer bring me a set of films from another printer and blah putuee they sucked!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 12:28:23 PM »
I have had clients bring my stapled wood framed screens! They had no art, no films, heck for all I know or remember, they were hand cut film stencils.

I have also started from almost scratch, made a paper print from the bad screen, and used that to make film and stencil.

At any rate, like Pierre, for enough compensation, they can have a screen of mine.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 02:42:47 PM »
I have had clients bring my stapled wood framed screens! They had no art, no films, heck for all I know or remember, they were hand cut film stencils.

I have also started from almost scratch, made a paper print from the bad screen, and used that to make film and stencil.

At any rate, like Pierre, for enough compensation, they can have a screen of mine.

Even if they took me up on the high price, we'd still have to get a replacement. Of course, they aren't going to give you that hundred bucks anyway. Remember to say no in a very matter-of-fact way, kind of a "What are you smokin'?" or "No, absolutely not"

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 03:22:34 PM »
That's kind of the point. For "enough compensation" for our screen, most any other shops would just make their own, and probably even prefer it that way.
Like I said to Darryl, It's rare that a shop even has the screen ready to go anyway, though some business models do catalog repeat screens.
I gave it up on all but a few screens (less than a half dozen)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 04:20:18 PM »
I had a lady bring me her screens and I told her I couldn't use them.  I probably could have, but I had zero desire to try.

Offline MrBreeze

• !!!
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 04:29:33 PM »
I once worked for a guy back in the 70's that handled it this way...The guy wanted his screens so right in front of him my boss took a box cutter and cut the mesh out and handed it to him.  The guy was really pissed so my boss says, " Oh, you wanted the frames too?"
If it's so easy, you do it.