Author Topic: Strange Request or maybe not  (Read 2823 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: Strange Request or maybe not
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 05:36:27 PM »
I'd sell them frames for the right price, hell, I'd sell the auto for the RIGHT price.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 05:44:58 PM »
@ Frog this guy is a chepa Azz and I,m thinking he has a buddy that thinks he can print them cheaper if he gets eerything from me, and yes & no on keeping screens. I keep screens up for one week for a reorder then they get reclaim and setup has to be paid again.  We offer to give them film, they want screens, plus its such a very simple job, common text found on any computer.  This ain't the first time I had people call and ask can I burn there art on my screen and sell it to them LOL.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 06:00:20 PM »
Hay Darryl, just last Friday I had a guy with a Speedball kit ask if I could burn his screen for him.

I actually explained how that defeats half the purpose of getting a limited hobby kit and doing it at home, and convinced him to follow the glass and foam instructions! I even explained about step wedge tests.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 10:33:29 PM »
We don't retain any art that someone pays for, in fact they get a file kit on disc when the art is finalized.  Seps are our company property and never given out.  Screens, well yeah nobody wants our actual screens when you tell them the price- an M3 with any of the higher mesh counts is what, about 150 bones.

We do offer film output, coat & burn and reclaim at 5, 15 and 10 bucks respectively. (nasty screens cost an additional six pack service charge;)) but this is mostly for hobbyists.  We'll order screens and any other supplies anyone wants too if they don't feel like ordering themselves.

The only crappy situation I can recall along this topic is having one of my competitors (much bigger, different, sort of operation than us) freak that a group used us for an order  instead of them and proceed to low ball the living daylights out of me for the reprint order.  They took the low deal (can't blame 'em the price barely covered the shirt cost) and the other shop had the nerve to call and ask me how to print my art. I told them that they clearly must be confident in their skills given the extremely "efficient" rate they bid the job for and could surely figure it out on their own.  They printed the basic logo instead.  Shame cause that art was pretty sweet.

Point is, you pay for art, we provide proper files for you to do as you wish with but the files don't come with free consultation for seedy competitors on how to generate and print a proper under base or use high opacity plastisol inks, etc.  If your client wants screens, make up an invoice and send them along their way.

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 11:15:25 PM »
Technically if they pay for art you can give them disk or flash or films. That's why I don't charge for screen print or Embroidery, so I never have to give it away. Now if they bring me a file I give it back to them, but not if I corrected the file.

Shane

Offline Croft

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 08:23:32 AM »
I have a screen prep. charge and an art prep. charge and do not imply that they own the art, I usually only send out lower res. jpeg proofs for art approval.
 For the screen thing I think there was an era at least in our area that you purchased the screens, not sure how it worked but I did once have a customer bring me screens that were the old style with tape and staples holding the mesh that were his screens from his last printer, but that was 20 years ago.
  I agree my film ,screens and art don't leave the building.