Author Topic: what does it take to print sim process with metallic inks?  (Read 4483 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: what does it take to print sim process with metallic inks?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 09:04:46 AM »
Colin,

I have some pigment concentrates for the waterbased inks (Matsui). It's just liquid pigment of some sort. Could I add that in instead of the process ink? We are talking a gram or two at the most. Could such a small qty mess up the plastisol bad enough to cause problems?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 09:27:44 AM »
Yikes NO! Oil and water don't mix.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 03:28:48 PM »
it figures . . .

Thanx Tony! You are GRRRREEAAATTT!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 03:36:15 PM »
Yea, like Tony said, do not mix the two :)

Huzza for East Coasters getting up earlier then me ;)

When you get in the Silver ink, do a simple print cure test.  If you can get away with it Pierre, flash the print just before it comes off the press so It goes into the dryer hotter.  This will help with cure times.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 04:01:26 PM »
Yea, like Tony said, do not mix the two :)

Huzza for East Coasters getting up earlier then me ;)

When you get in the Silver ink, do a simple print cure test.  If you can get away with it Pierre, flash the print just before it comes off the press so It goes into the dryer hotter.  This will help with cure times.

thanx Colin,

I knew you'd catch up with the east coast! 'was actually surprised Tony beat you to it!

pierre

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 04:27:33 PM »
I'm on Central time and my key is in the door no later than 6:00 am so thats the reason I am getting sneak peeks. Usually get to get out at 4:00 sharp right after night shift shows up though.