Author Topic: Beach Towels  (Read 2596 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Beach Towels
« on: May 30, 2012, 05:37:48 PM »
What do you guys do as far as stabilizers?  Any other tips?

I did some with cut away... I just don't like the idea of cut away still on the towel afterwards.

I did one with out any backing... it seems ok to me... am I asking for trouble though?

I used water solvable topping to keep the stitches from sinking in.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Beach Towels
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 08:57:18 PM »
tear away.  cut away wouldn't look good.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 11:03:48 PM »
Yeah, I agree... just all the forums that came up in a search were saying cut away. *shrug*

Maybe that's for decorative towels vs towels like beach towels that people will use.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 11:09:34 PM »
and really towels are pretty stiff, the backing will help a lot, but they don't need a ton of it.

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 11:26:39 PM »
Gilligan,

We used the water soluble topping and the tear away recently on some beach towels -- worked flawlessly.  That's the route we'd do on towels.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 11:46:50 PM »
Thanks fellas... I hope I have enough tear away.  I have a small roll (vs a LARGE roll of cut away).

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 09:44:58 AM »
you should buy precut sheets, check out bobbincentral.com for great prices on that stuff.  I use the classic rib for most stuff, they sell lots of sizes.

It's easier to do it this way, maybe not cheaper, but you are wasting time cutting sheets.  I paid an employee $12 to cut sheets, and I stopped and thought, why?  Yeah, they could do it between running the machine, but what if they didn't have enough cut and blah, blah.

Also, their bobbins rock!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 03:31:53 PM »
I've been using AllStitch for most of my supplies, or I go buy them down the road.  She cuts me a decent deal.  Fast Frames for like $250 or something... practically cost.  Their prices on thread aren't too bad especially given I'm still using small spools.  But they are a small shop that services little old ladies mostly so they don't have the larger bulk items I need like massive amounts of stabilizer.

I do though buy precut for the standard left chest stuff... I have a roll of the cutaway from larger items and I still had a small roll of tear away from when I bought the machine, but now I see I need to buy a big roll for that too next time.

I'm checking that site now though... I'm always looking for better shops for embroidery supplies!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 03:35:13 PM »
i also recommend cones rather than spools, there just isn't that big a difference in price and you get so much more.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 04:32:22 PM »
I'm with you... I just don't want the thread to go to waste sitting in a drawer dry rotting.