Author Topic: Issues with Yellow ink  (Read 5797 times)

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
Issues with Yellow ink
« on: May 17, 2011, 07:56:18 AM »
Would someone know what this would mean : CB Yellow 4449

I have a gallon of yellow ink that has this written on the container. I bought a few gallons of old ink from my supplier that bought out all the ink from a big print shop that was switching brands. This one does not have any marks on the bucket except that written with marker.
It is really runny and gooey, it is terrible to print, will not play well with other colors when wet-on-wet, and it is REALLY hard to clean of the screen when I used clean-up card (it gets all over the place).

Luckily I had another yellow, but that one is a bit darker.

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
Re: Issues with Yellow ink
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 08:25:55 AM »
These  may or may not provide info:

http://www.colorsepspro.com/rutland-screen-printing-inks.html
http://www.scribd.com/doc/40145442/Rut-Land-User-Guide

CB Color Booster Plastisol Mixing System Brighter, More Vibrant Colors Description ? The CB Color Booster system consists of 19 user friendly colors concentrates to developed to strengthen and enhance colors, print safer, and create consistent matches in all Rutland Base ink systems by mixing color shades without fear of affecting fusion. The Color Booster mixing system will also create more than 5000 popular colors in a variety of product series.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 08:29:02 AM »
Its a Rutland product........ the CB stands for the color booster. Its been a while since I've used the Rutland products but I'm pretty sure the color boosters were designed to "punch up" old muddy colors and were not intended to be used straight out of the bucket. Which is probably why you are having issues with it. At any rate I would call Rutland in Pineville NC (Tony Chapman would be my first choice but he can be a little difficult to get a hold of)
and they will give you give you a more informed response.
tp

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 08:46:22 AM »
Thanks guys. That makes sense :(
I guess I have a gallon of Ink I can not use :((((((((

Oh well, that teaches me a lesson not to buy old ink, who knows what you can get.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 11:31:44 AM »
Thanks guys. That makes sense :(
I guess I have a gallon of Ink I can not use :((((((((

Oh well, that teaches me a lesson not to buy old ink, who knows what you can get.

You cant go wrong with your own advice here. You never know what someone has put in their inks. By the time you find out its going through the dryer and your like WTF or in your case the sh!t just didnt work to start out with. I would get your supplier to take it back.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline BBB

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 12:58:31 PM »
I dont think anyone should use ink they dont know anything about. Expecialy if it doesnt have a label. my 2 cents

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 01:39:26 PM »
Thanks guys. All other ink I bought was Ruthland and I do not have any issues with it. This one was the only one.
It was $20/gallon so I bought 6 gallons of common colors so I could have some ink to start up.

I'm still looking around which ink to use, trying local distributors. I'm set with white, I just need to choose a supplier and brand for other colors.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 01:55:58 PM »
Thanks guys. All other ink I bought was Ruthland and I do not have any issues with it. This one was the only one.
It was $20/gallon so I bought 6 gallons of common colors so I could have some ink to start up.

I'm still looking around which ink to use, trying local distributors. I'm set with white, I just need to choose a supplier and brand for other colors.

you have a local supplier that carries Union and QCM. Union has different products depending on what you are printing, so you will need more than one type of ink for each color. All I know about QCM is that they have two lines, one that prints wet on wet just fine and another that does not work as well. There are several QCM ppl here on the board, they might chime in and give you more detail.

In any case, I keep telling you, stick with local if you can!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 02:03:53 PM »
you have a local supplier that carries Union and QCM. Union has different products depending on what you are printing, so you will need more than one type of ink for each color. All I know about QCM is that they have two lines, one that prints wet on wet just fine and another that does not work as well. There are several QCM ppl here on the board, they might chime in and give you more detail.

In any case, I keep telling you, stick with local if you can!

pierre

Pierre.
I know what you said, and I gave him a try. But pricing I got was just ridiculous, and every time I have to buy something, I have to ask for a quote :(
I like to go on the site and order, no need to send emails and wait for pricing. Most of the time, he is hard to get in contact with.

The people I used, I go online, order and I have stuff tomorrow at my doorstep. This time, I did not have money, and I just got something cheap to get started.

I would love to stay local, but there is just too many issues with the local guy. By the time I get the quote back, sometimes, I can have the stuff already delivered to my house.

I like to have everything in the open, and see the prices right there when I'm placing an order.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 02:44:16 PM »
Ah, a child of the internet.

I mostly call one of my two or three locals, that's right, call! sometimes even on a corded telephonic device that has not even been rated any higher than "at grade level"  let alone "smart"! I ask about availability, price, sometimes features if I haven't done my research, and place the order and either have them deliver in their truck, ship UPS, or I pick up.

Hell, I'm scared at the term "quote" It sounds so speculative and makes me think of "bids". I call up two produce markets and ask about the pound price on asparagus or strawberries on a given day, and don't consider it a quote any more than a quart of Opaque Teal and a gallon of Chromaline PL.
If I were buying 55 gallon drums it might be different.

I don't know about your local distributors, but they, in general, and a good working relationship, can be a huge plus and great resource.
I greatly lament the loss of our local Tubelite, and the old Screen Printing Products and its knowledgeable staff and reps.

Even when I deal with a long distance supplier of manufacturer, I use the phone so that we can more easily go back and forth than emails and online order pages permit.

Your favorite amphibian Luddite

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 05:01:56 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 04:29:36 PM »
Frog.
Internet is not an issue. They have site, but they do not have prices anywhere. Every time I have to call/email and request the pricing. Sometimes, I wait a while. This way, I go online, pick whatever I need and order.
It eliminates a lot of steps.

I'm all about support locals, if there are comparable prices in question.
I have paid a can of screen opener and a can of pallet adhesive $16 at the local place, I got charged tax and they charged me a $1 for handling? I WAS FRIKIN THERE, WHAT HANDLING?
The guy that I'm using has them both for $4.39 or $4.69 each. Last time I ordered some screens, a few chemicals, curable reducer, a few cans of screen opener and I paid $7 for shipping and had the stuff next day.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 04:43:51 PM »
Well, if prices are way out of line, I understand, but in general, my situation is just about the opposite, and the prices are similar, and the free delivery or pick up ability seals the deal.

To change the subject a bit to something you mentioned...
Spray Screen Opener?

Man that stuff is not only funky, and unhealthy, but it (unless something has changed) can attack some emulsions, especially halftone dots.
Press wash is what I use. Haven't let that stuff in my shop in at least ten or more years.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 04:51:04 PM »
Ditch the aerosols (except for fleece).

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 05:18:18 PM »
Ditch the aerosols (except for fleece).

I use liquid pallet tack, I bought it in case I have to do fleece.
I have a 2 cans of opener and pallet adhesive just in case.

I'm glad you guys are thinking about my health :)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 05:47:16 PM »
Well, if prices are way out of line, I understand, but in general, my situation is just about the opposite, and the prices are similar, and the free delivery or pick up ability seals the deal.

To change the subject a bit to something you mentioned...
Spray Screen Opener?

Man that stuff is not only funky, and unhealthy, but it (unless something has changed) can attack some emulsions, especially halftone dots.

huh, I use that stuff every day, sometimes as seasoning for my sandwich.  Is it really that bad? hmmm, maybe that explains my headaches . . .

but on a serious note, the screen opener when used properly is good stuff.. It will dissolve any remaining adhesive residue. Every now and then when the ink drys in the screen ('cause some moron forgot to turn down the flash times and the screen after the flash is cooked) screen opener is the only way to get it going again.

Yes, I have other stuff too, but sometimes, there is no other way.

Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!