Author Topic: 1st timer at Discharge printing. Pretty decent.  (Read 3287 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
1st timer at Discharge printing. Pretty decent.
« on: June 06, 2012, 02:47:11 PM »
This printing stuff is a cake walk. ;)

Basically a discharge base white + CMYK.  Interestingly enough, what we did here is I separated the art first for white tees only, then custy wanted colors. So we created a discharge underbase and viola.  First time at blending/process and 1st time at discharge printing.
The art is interesting and decent but needed some clean up. It just needed editing for a decent print.  Bad photo, and you won't know it, but it's pretty dead on to the original.

The only flaw is where the grass was fading to the shirt color. You can see how it changes colors. It was pretty messed up in that area but I did what I could at the time.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 02:50:56 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Re: 1st timer at Discharge printing. Pretty decent.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 03:09:30 PM »
I did this once. It was a black shirt with a discharge white under the 4 color process. It worked but I felt like the colors were more faded and not as sharp. I only did it on a test run so I really didn't play with it too much. It was a while ago. I think I printed the discharge and the 4CP wet on wet. Did you flash the discharge before printing the 4CP? What discharge? I used matsui white back then. Now I would use a mix of CCi white and clear. I really need to find time for discharge.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 03:15:37 PM »
Looks good!

Did you flash the discharge white or wet on wet?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 03:47:30 PM »
I only did the seps. From what I remember hearing, it was flashed but not sure how much. From what I hear, you would only flash very little.  Not enough to cure/change the ink.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 03:53:57 PM »
Correct you only need to steam out some of the water. Often I don't even do that just let the magic happen in the dryer

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 04:18:12 PM »
Correct you only need to steam out some of the water. Often I don't even do that just let the magic happen in the dryer

You don't have any effect from the water in the discharge messing with the 4cp inks?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 04:21:35 PM »
Its possible but not typical. The garment holds the water in pretty well.

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 05:53:17 PM »
If you are flashing the base anyway, what is the difference between a discharge base and plastisol? Should one be easier than the other? I just bought a 5 gallon discharge kit from ryonet. It was too good a deal to pass on. Now I need to find time to play too.
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 06:10:25 PM »
The dif is that discharge leaves no hand if you were to only print the discharge base. Then, commonly, waterbase is printed over top leaving almost no hand. If plastisol is used, you feel it more so. Brighter colors yet at the same time, softer hand.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 06:24:12 PM »
If you are flashing the base anyway, what is the difference between a discharge base and plastisol? Should one be easier than the other? I just bought a 5 gallon discharge kit from ryonet. It was too good a deal to pass on. Now I need to find time to play too.

We flash the base sometimes to prevent buildup on the backs of other screens. We flash just long enough to get the edges to show some discoloration. It does not take much flash time at all.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Tagless Threads

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 06:45:11 AM »
good job!
Screen Printing - Tagless Threads
twitter - facebook - flickr

Offline PixelPimp

• Verified/Junior
  • putting pixels to work since 1984
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 04:02:04 PM »
nice job Dan!
would you happen to know what brand of discharge white underbase they used?