Author Topic: Turning back the hands of Time!!  (Read 2944 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Turning back the hands of Time!!
« on: June 07, 2012, 02:20:15 PM »
If you could turn back the hands of time on your business what would it be?  I know I got a list of things I would like to go back and redo, but then again those mistakes might have been needed to get me where I  am today.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Turning back the hands of Time!!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 02:27:50 PM »
There are plenty, but i wouldn't change things simply because of the learning experience.  I guess I am in your boat on that one.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 02:30:54 PM »
I think Johnny used to have a signature on another board that read, "Old too soon, smart too late". Some things just have to be learned the hard way, and by the time we find the handle, while we don't have the benefit of many years of screenprinting (or monetary, romantic, insert anything your want here) bliss to look forward to anymore, the effort makes us all the more appreciative of having at least reached it.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 04:43:42 PM »
learn to say NO sooner and buy and auto from the start...

and a few others....

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 05:13:34 PM »
I'm with Sam on the learn to say "No" sooner. I say "No" a lot now if it's a PIA or just not worth it. As for making mistakes, nothing teaches like experience. Mistakes actually guide you to the correct way, if you're paying attention.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 05:28:58 PM »
Would have gotten Quick Books from day one...

Our first year was run on Excel Spread sheets, and it is a mess...  :P

Also would have never gotten into a contract with a credit card processor.

We didn’t get raped, but have found better deals, and the buyout kinda kills the savings. :(
Brannon Mullins Spot Color Supply
www.spotcolorsupply.com     sales@spotcolorsupply.com.
We Sell Workhorse Products,Along With Used Equipment, and Printing Supplies!!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
I, like a lot of others have never made a mistake nor have I made a poor decision since getting into this industry.  This stuff is easy. Oh man, I kill myself sometimes.

That's a hell of a question, and I don't know where to begin and where to end.  I guess my biggest regret or area of failure would be the first two years out trying to be the screen printer and run a shop, and doing things the wrong way and basically getting our asses kicked every single day by one job after another.  I remember having to run 6 color jobs around 2 and 3 revolutions and I sure wish I would have learned everything a little faster and had not wasted hundreds of hours chasing my tail and banging my head against a wall.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 06:57:37 PM »
I would have opened a used drum store instead.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 07:03:20 PM »
mine are expansion related. it was one of those oh so rare experiences where so much was out of my control- I did right on my end and I got left holding the hat for a lot of other peoples mistakes, failures and wrongdoings -but I would've stayed smaller, like very small, and saved that energy...and that money.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 07:47:52 AM »
I, like a lot of others have never made a mistake nor have I made a poor decision since getting into this industry.  This stuff is easy. Oh man, I kill myself sometimes.

That's a hell of a question, and I don't know where to begin and where to end.  I guess my biggest regret or area of failure would be the first two years out trying to be the screen printer and run a shop, and doing things the wrong way and basically getting our asses kicked every single day by one job after another.  I remember having to run 6 color jobs around 2 and 3 revolutions and I sure wish I would have learned everything a little faster and had not wasted hundreds of hours chasing my tail and banging my head against a wall.

Try this one Alan, "I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't" . Oddly enough, I said "I kill me" to a customer just yesterday. Great minds, eh?

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 10:15:23 AM »
Well I do wish I would have gotten a larger press, but hey I,m making due, and Sam I do say NO!!! just did it yesterday on a job.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!