Author Topic: Updated well known logos  (Read 2774 times)

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
Updated well known logos
« on: August 25, 2012, 11:04:47 PM »
Many of you have probably already seen this, but I thought that it would be nice to share
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/what-20-top-companies--logos-looked-like-before-they-were-famous.html?page=all

Some of them are quite different from the originals. Love the new Xerox, Apple, Mazda and simple Shell logo.

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
Re: Updated well known logos
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 01:15:53 AM »
The one thing the new ones all have in common is simplicity. That's what I try to tell my logo design clients... simplicity above all else.

Shrink it down to the size of a dime. Then embroider it. Simple like that.

Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 11:31:38 AM »
Some folks just don't get the whole point of a logo (as opposed to advertising art)

Simple. Recognizable. Consistent.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 12:34:50 PM »
aw heck I kringed when i saw the Kodak logo and thought they need to change it again to  something like FOR SALE! or OUT OF BUSINESS.
I bring this up because the logo triggered my thoughts , and kodak is where my dad made a living for many years.
Everyone in business should study Kodak a great American company the got it all wrong.

Kodak is BROKE $$ wise they are on their a$$, in chapter 11 since january.

To off set their debt Kodak offered up for auctionsale recently ALL of their digital patents for sale. They received an embarrassing price for the entire bindle which was suggested to be worth hundreds of millions. One news report said it was hundreds millions below what Kodak expected.

Not many know Kodak  invented the digital camera technology many many years ago but because they were so paper film based and really didn't think it was going to change the market they did nothing with it. Who out there has a digital camera or some device that uses digital image technology, you most likely can trace this back to what Kodak developed nearly 50 years ago .

Just this week they announced they are getting out of a bunch of what was their core business, cameras, film, copiers, photo kiosks etc.

Once upon a time everyone who took a photo with film first bought a yellow & black box with Kodak film in it.
while Kodak sat on their quality and name a company called Fuji thought they would try making some inroads in the paper film market around the world......say goodby yellow box hello green box film.

My point is if you fail to change with the market that you created and or grew up in you will have your own KODAK MOMENT.

the evolution of the Kodak logo from old to new as posted here just energized me to hijack this thread... Kodak a great American company that suffered from it's own weight and blindness to the market.

Kinda the ultimate irony that the very company that created memories for millions becomes a memory for millions...................sorry for the hijack
mooseman

DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 10:57:12 PM »
So you could say Kodak is like the US Postal services and Fuji is like FedEx and UPS. ;)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 09:22:30 AM »
When we used to print election signs, we always told folks to keep it extra simple, last name and the office. Mostly because people are driving by these things, they don't have time to appreciate the clever design. Utility is everything, if people can't get the message immediately, I think the market is narrowed.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 09:25:15 AM »
I don't know about that.  There are all sorts of add-ons that help people to remember names and messages.  I think a border helped retention by like 10-15% or something like that.  I think it needs to be sharp looking.  It doesn't have to be the Obama campaign logo, but it needs a little something to stand out.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 07:51:01 PM »
So you could say Kodak is like the US Postal services and Fuji is like FedEx and UPS. ;)

actually no, Kodak was a giant, innovator, ultra tec company that was built from the ground up by developing process and products that no one else could deliver.  they made billions sprinkled with the stardust of the American dream.

The postal service is a huge organization that when handed a captive market with absolotely no competition.on a product that  is neither intellictual, technical or even more complex than delivering a pizza. they take an item that a 90 year old woman can carry filter it through a complex operation that 100's of hands to literally deliver and unmodifiedproduct inches from the point from which it started.
Their employees are grumpy, have attitudes and present worse customer service than Craig's list.
With the world as their oyster and an uncle protecting thier back they still are losing money by the millions.

Sorry Gilly there is no comparison, Kodak was the American dream, Now if your take GM and the Postal Service you have got a comparison .
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 08:14:42 PM »
But you are talking about 100 year old Kodak and todays USPS... you can't do that... that's not fair.

I'm talking about how 100 years ago the Post Office was kicking and then FedEx and UPS showed up and they didn't keep up with the times/changes and got left behind.

Basically EXACTLY what happened to Kodak.

No one was doing what the post office was doing before, hence why they dominated the market and they did make a great deal of profit when they were working but they are exactly what you said they are (as well as what you said Kodak became) as time went on.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 08:39:09 AM »
nobody else is allowed to deliver mail.

take a look a parcel shipping, USPS is pushing that hard, but it's a joke.  You can't track packages, I got one notification of it shipping 3 days after it arrived.  How can you depend on that?

On a side note, twice in the same week UPS took an extra day to deliver one package from a shipment that had multiples.  They rarely do that, and twice in the same week is very rare.  And it was for the same customer as well.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 09:02:14 AM »
I don't know about that.  There are all sorts of add-ons that help people to remember names and messages.  I think a border helped retention by like 10-15% or something like that.  I think it needs to be sharp looking.  It doesn't have to be the Obama campaign logo, but it needs a little something to stand out.

Well, we would have "Vote" or a check mark in a box, name reversed, office not reversed, or the opposite, too add a little visual interest of course, but still, someone driving by has only a split second to see it and get the message. We had some customer paying designers big dough, when their competitors used that money for more signs and coverage, and winning the elections.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't