Author Topic: "permanent stencil"....???  (Read 2095 times)

Offline Rocfrog

"permanent stencil"....???
« on: June 19, 2012, 11:30:54 AM »
We have The Ultimate Number System and we need to reclaim and reburn all the sets about every six months or so (this round was way quicker than precious rounds), so I was wondering if there was a way to "harden" or make the emulsion once burned more "permanent" or last longer......???

We had a Ulano rep stop by last week to drop off a sample of their new "Orange" emulsion and I was kind of talking to him about it and he said once burned to rub Lacquer Thinner on it and let it dry and that should "lock" it in. This did not seem right to me so I figure I would ask before we just go trying stuff....

Nick

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: "permanent stencil"....???
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 11:54:24 AM »
Waterproof emulsions have a hardener you can use, I forget which, it may have been Autotype or Chromaline I think. As far as Lacquer Thinner locking in the emulsion, while it may have some effect, it's probably inconsistent. We used to use LT for general cleaning, and they always reclaimed easily enough, so I doubt it's going to work the way you were told.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 12:04:44 PM »
You may just be having exposure issues--a good emulsion on mesh counts for numbering should last at least 10-20K impressions--you get that sweet new expo unit yet?    ;)

Offline Rocfrog

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 12:11:53 PM »
Waterproof emulsions have a hardener you can use, I forget which, it may have been Autotype or Chromaline I think. As far as Lacquer Thinner locking in the emulsion, while it may have some effect, it's probably inconsistent. We used to use LT for general cleaning, and they always reclaimed easily enough, so I doubt it's going to work the way you were told.

Steve

Would you be talking about something like this...???

http://www.silkscreeningsupplies.com/product/CCHARDENEXQ

You may just be having exposure issues--a good emulsion on mesh counts for numbering should last at least 10-20K impressions--you get that sweet new expo unit yet?    ;)

I think our main problem is that we do so many color changes on them and the constant cleaing of them is what is breaking them down. No the owners have all the info I provided them with and have yet to pull the trigger but I'm constantly bugging them about it hopefully soon!  8)

Nick

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 12:17:54 PM »
* you seem to have found something while I was typing this but...

Companies like Mirakami have two flavors of "wipe on" hardeners for their emulsions for durability with discharge and waterbase inks. One barely affects reclaim, and one forces re-mesh.
Adding diazo to photopolymer stencils can also harden them.

And yes, some solvents do have that quality on emulsions not generally designed for solvent inks, especially when underexposed. That was one of the drawbacks with using xylene on the common emulsions in the past.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Rocfrog

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 12:48:42 PM »
We use only platisol inks, no water based here. I just happen to see this product the other day for water based inks. Would there be any adverse effects on using this on our screens? We use Mac Dermid Plus 8000 emulsion and we coat the screens 2 and 2......

Nick

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 01:09:06 PM »
Chromaline and Kiwo both sell a post hardener they should be used right after the stencil is developed and the emulsion is still wet.

Pretty simple to use wipe on right after developing allow to sit for about ten minutes, DO NOT let sit to long or it will dry in the open stencil. Rinse thoroughly and allow to air dry. If trying for the ultimate non reclaimable screen then repeat the process several times.
"No man is an island"