Author Topic: Simulated Process on Brown 50/50's  (Read 1953 times)

Offline Clark

Simulated Process on Brown 50/50's
« on: May 19, 2011, 12:36:32 PM »
I got a good size sim process order coming through, and the client wants to use brown 50/50's.  Am i facing a bleeding issue here?  I don't recall ever printing sim on 50/50's, but I can't imagine it being a very good idea as much as we reduce the underbase white.  I've let the client know I'm not a big fan of the idea, and that if there is a bleeding issue that I won't take responsibility, but I'd prefer to deliver a product i know won't bleed. So anybody done this, maybe use a reduced polywhite for the underbase...

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Simulated Process on Brown 50/50's
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 01:05:11 PM »
I haven't had brown be a big bleeder, but that's no guarantee. I'd test one with Quick white
and heat the hell out of it.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 01:09:27 PM »
I did not have an issue when I ran some. I used Quick White for the base and Bright Tiger HV for the highlight. It was a six color spot job.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 02:54:43 PM »
I got a good size sim process order coming through, and the client wants to use brown 50/50's.  Am i facing a bleeding issue here?  I don't recall ever printing sim on 50/50's, but I can't imagine it being a very good idea as much as we reduce the underbase white.  I've let the client know I'm not a big fan of the idea, and that if there is a bleeding issue that I won't take responsibility, but I'd prefer to deliver a product i know won't bleed. So anybody done this, maybe use a reduced polywhite for the underbase...

I printed some chocolate brown 50/50's the other day and had no issues with bleeding. Used my standard lo bleed white (not heavy duty blocking). My bigger concern would be printing fine halftones on the 50/50. THe weave is not as tight and the prints look a little airy. I would go down to a 50 lpi dot or maybe even a 45.
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!