Author Topic: Roller Squeegees - Please chime in.  (Read 6465 times)

Offline Action1

Roller Squeegees - Please chime in.
« on: July 07, 2012, 09:49:14 AM »
Action Engineering is proud to once again present TSB members with the first view of our most recent development efforts. Roller Squeegees have many uses. We welcome your suggestions as to how these can be most useful. Please chime in one and all and discuss the various areas of benefit for roller squeegees.

Action Engineering
Product Development Team

Offline patfinn

• Verified/Junior
Re: Roller Squeegees - Please chime in.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 10:49:21 AM »
i thought about doing something like this with a lint roller.. so you could use on top of a blank shirt and pick up lint like a lint screen.. any thoughts>?
Patrick Lashbrook
M&R Sales and Service
Technical Sales Associate
patrick.lashbrook@mrprint.com

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 10:55:48 AM »
Hello Action family,

I applaud your efforts to go outside the box. A turtle never gets anywhere unless he sticks his neck out and takes some risk.  With that said, for screen printed apparel, I'm wondering how these are going to be effective.

Maybe I'm totally unaware of other ways to use these?
Having a round shape with no edge leaves me to think that you can only "smash" the ink in rather than cut it in.

Very soft squeegee's are often used for low mesh with special effect inks. When you use a soft squeegee on a regular print, you stand the chance if laying down too much ink.  I can only assume that a round roller will do even more of this.

I would only guess that this is designed for special effect inks tht need driven into the garment. I am not saying that we do not need this type of new squeegee. Just that I think it's uses might be very limited on apparel.  Again, maybe I've not been introduced to a new technique where this would be a good fit.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 11:00:38 AM »
I could see these used in a sticky lint pickup screen, eliminating the need to keep the screen "lubricated"
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 11:22:24 AM »
I could see these used in a sticky lint pickup screen, eliminating the need to keep the screen "lubricated"

my thoughts exactly!

I am sure we'll think of some other use for them too.

pierre

Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 11:42:06 AM »
You could use pallet tape vs emulsion on the bottom of that screen as well... saving another buck.

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 01:07:24 PM »
...I often hear of folks using a screen directly after the flash, while the ink is still hot, to "mat" the ink down. I would imagine this would work, but let's take that a step further. Imagine the different special effect possible if there were patterns embossed, or debossed, into that cylinder? FUUUUUUUNN!!!
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 01:21:51 PM »
or a textured sheet like we use for heat seal or used by vinyl upholstery repair people
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 01:30:49 PM »
You can make one--burn an image, resolve it, and scoop coat it again from the inside, dry print side down--post expose it, and you have your embossing screen.

You wouldn't want to use a good sharp squeegee on it though...  (not that I know from experience...  ::) )

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 01:48:48 PM »
This could make a cool effect with embossing.

We use a smoothing screen all the time on the auto. It makes your print a lot smoother by pushing remaining fibers back into the soft gelled ink. It makes a big difference in the final print. This roller might work for that as well if it's soft enough.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 01:51:24 PM »
...I often hear of folks using a screen directly after the flash, while the ink is still hot, to "mat" the ink down. I would imagine this would work, but let's take that a step further. Imagine the different special effect possible if there were patterns embossed, or debossed, into that cylinder? FUUUUUUUNN!!!

We sometimes have to do that with certain clients and their designs on certain hoody substrates. Like terry cloth. This roller squeegee would be cool to try out. Just realized we have to do a few hundred of those I just mentioned late next week. Damn, would be cool to try.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 02:45:48 PM »
I don't see why this would not work for printing. I have seen belt printers that print with rods that roll  back and forth to print. They don't use a flood bar. The movement back and forth does all the printing. I don't think it would be good for high detail and would also be hard to control laydown but it would work.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 12:36:52 AM by Screened Gear »

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 02:48:39 PM »
This would be perfect for a lint screen on larger orders.  Blank screen with a little tack on the substrate side.  runnin 70 dozen+/ hour with out stopping to clean the back of the screens, SWEAT.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
I am confused....can't be for ink, the roller is way too close to the frame ink would transfer and be a real mess.
Also the open ends suggest cleaning would be a nightmare.
the relatively small shaft or axel suggest not much pressure will be applied or tolerated.
Rather sophisticated upper bracket element suggests a fussy fit into a machine . Do you guys recognize the upper as something that would fit into an auto?

The only thing i can think of is it is used as some sort of post process treatment , flattening  something like flock or better yet FOIL onto a tee shirt.
Other than that I would guess Action picked the wrong blog to post .
Ok Action guys GIVE IT UP......WASSUP

mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 04:04:27 PM »
I'm rather curious as well, as to what Action is intending this to be used for.
Several interesting theories already posted.
I don't use any of your products, as I'm not the purchasing guy,
but you folks do come up with some interesting stuff.
Clue us in.