Author Topic: 2 Ply....???  (Read 4408 times)

Offline Rocfrog

2 Ply....???
« on: July 13, 2012, 02:34:16 PM »
I was wondering if there is a way to print on two ply shorts on the Auto with out having special boards? We have a job of 650 one color left leg 2ply shorts that need to be printed and normally we print them on our manual press using a spring clamp to "hold' the upper layer of fabric tight....

Just don't want to tie up the manual press for a week with one job...

Nick

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: 2 Ply....???
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 03:42:57 PM »
I vote no, because all of the  DIY "seat of the pants" solutions are weird enough on a manual, let alone an auto.
Hopefully, you quoted enough for the extra time and special handling to pay for the extra time special handling even though you had hoped to not need it.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Rocfrog

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 03:51:16 PM »
That's what I thought....

I am learning more and more that our sales people have no idea of how we do our jobs and how certian things like this need the extra time and handling but they don't care becasue it's all just a "yes" game to the customer and then we have to make it happen....

Nick

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 05:37:29 PM »
We've always just sucked it up and done stuff like that on the manual press.  Regardless of size and colors, but you have to charge accordingly...obviously.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 06:49:27 PM »
only one color, we would run it on the auto anyway, artwork permitting of course. one stroke and done.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 07:18:52 PM »
only one color, we would run it on the auto anyway, artwork permitting of course. one stroke and done.

How do you prevent the one layer of slick poly from sliding over the other layer of slick poly? Most 2 ply shorts I see are poly.

Offline Scobey Peterman

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 09:15:43 AM »
Send this order to me and I will print it.

We use embrodry hoops to hold them down with.

Two of us can print about 100 per hour.
Quality over Quantity

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 09:22:45 AM »
So, Scobey, you've mounted one of your hoop set-ups on every station on the auto?

btw, time for you to post a pic again

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 09:32:52 AM »
We use embroidery hoops as well, but on the manual, I'd hate to try to set something like that up on the auto.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Get Shirts

2 Ply....???
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 10:25:14 AM »
Emb hoops on the manual here too. But sometimes we are able to get a great print through a tight 110 and super opaque inks.

Offline jasonl

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 01:26:04 PM »
"We Make Blank Shirts Look Awesome!"

Offline Rocfrog

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 01:45:08 PM »
Embrodery hoops.....humm...interesting! I would like to see a pic of this in action.

We usually use those orange spring clamps on the manual and if we had ten of them it might work on the auto but we were kind of concerned about the second layer sticking to the screen as it comes up. We were going to try it with nothing because it is just grey ink on black mesh shorts so we thought if we did it on a 110 and hit it Once we might get away with it.

Nick

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 02:15:22 PM »
Here's Scobey's old pic of what he made

There is rubber on the wooden disc I believe, that helps make a tight fit

Offline Scobey Peterman

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 04:46:07 PM »
No, Andy we have not made rings for the auto.  We can do them faster on the 4x4 manuel press.
Quality over Quantity

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 09:58:41 PM »

How do you prevent the one layer of slick poly from sliding over the other layer of slick poly? Most 2 ply shorts I see are poly.

doesn't matter, one stroke of ink - done. no sliding.  IF the art allows of course. the material sticks up into the screen so a slow operation is needed but still works just fine. we ran some jerseys like this not too long ago. . . with my fav 110 mesh in fact. ;D
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...