Author Topic: (Union) Suede Inks, how do they work/print?  (Read 3336 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
(Union) Suede Inks, how do they work/print?
« on: July 25, 2012, 06:56:30 PM »
I've got a body shop that happens to be owned by a guy named "John Wayne" so of course they have a western theme.  We are doing some art work and I was looking at my Union "Plastisol Ink Color Guide" and noticed that with my Sienna Brown that Suede Tan would be a nice color and of course a pretty cool effect as well given the western theme.

Is this stuff hard to print with does the effect feel as good as the sample?  Do you guys charge anymore for this sort of ink?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: (Union) Suede Inks, how do they work/print?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 07:12:24 PM »
I've got a body shop that happens to be owned by a guy named "John Wayne" so of course they have a western theme.  We are doing some art work and I was looking at my Union "Plastisol Ink Color Guide" and noticed that with my Sienna Brown that Suede Tan would be a nice color and of course a pretty cool effect as well given the western theme.

Is this stuff hard to print with does the effect feel as good as the sample?  Do you guys charge anymore for this sort of ink?

I only use the suede additive from IC (beats having to stock special inks). It makes it super matte and adds a little bit of loft.
And yes, I charge for special inks or additives that cost me over and above standard inks.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 07:22:42 PM »
Well, I also like the color. :)

This is family that SHOULD bring a bit of repeat business to us.

OT, Surprisingly they own johnwaynes.com .

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 07:30:44 PM »
I'm with Andy on the additive. Then you not only have a dulling solution, you can also make any color
suede. I've got a 5 gallon bucket of it and rarely ever use it.

A buddy of mine's dog passed away, a Rottweiler. I spelled the dog's name and placed a rottweiler type marking
over the text, sueded black and orangey/tan. Looked awesome.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 08:22:44 AM »
just like any other puff ink, run it through a thick stencil (110 or thicker) and don't overcook it in the dryer. The loft of the ink (which is what provides the suede effect) is directly related to the amount of ink you lay down and the temperature.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 09:10:07 AM »
just like any other puff ink, run it through a thick stencil (110 or thicker) and don't overcook it in the dryer. The loft of the ink (which is what provides the suede effect) is directly related to the amount of ink you lay down and the temperature.

pierre

We used them about 10 years ago, I forget whose, but, it was best run through a 200 mesh or up, as there was so much blowing agent in it that too thick an application would distort the fabric too much. Definitely get it through the dryer quickly. They've changed the formulations I'm guessing since then to use heavier laydowns. It is a cool effect...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 10:01:07 AM »

pierre

We used them about 10 years ago, I forget whose, but, it was best run through a 200 mesh or up, as there was so much blowing agent in it that too thick an application would distort the fabric too much. Definitely get it through the dryer quickly. They've changed the formulations I'm guessing since then to use heavier laydowns. It is a cool effect...

Steve

according to Union instructions it should be printed through a 110. The suede we received in the special effects kit happens to be tan/brown and it is slightly different from regular puff which leads me to believe that it is not quite the same. Even through the 110 it raises very little and the surface is just fuzzy rather than bubbly like normal puff. My guess is if printed through a 230 you would not see much difference between suede and regular ink . . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 10:19:34 AM »
Well, once again I can not specifically address the Union Suede inks, but with the International Coatings 222 dulling and suede additive I can say that through any mesh that I have used (110-230) it performs as advertised, giving a suede or "velvety" finish to any ink.
The lower mesh counts, and/or thicker stencils, by laying down more ink, will also increase loft, but not to a "puff" level, at least, not when added in the recommended proportions.

Let me also point out the value of this additive in the 2% addition to merely reduce sheen.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?