Author Topic: Ink for zippo lighters?  (Read 2353 times)

Offline yorkie

Ink for zippo lighters?
« on: May 23, 2011, 01:33:37 AM »
I'm wanting to customize some zippo lighters. I fear that the wrong ink/paint would have quick and catastrophic failure. Any ideas?

Offline woodrow

• Verified/Junior
Re: Ink for zippo lighters?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 08:05:24 AM »
I printed some Crankcase covers for the Missouri Mules M/C club and I used the Enamel plus 59000 series inks,(Nazdar) they have several colors. It's an air dry enamel and the best part is if you make a mistake you can wipe it off and start over. I made a jig to hold the covers to print and used a clear overprint to finish them which had to be heat and scuff resistant. They were very pleased with the results!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 09:50:38 AM »
We use baking epoxy inks for metals, NazDar something, I forget which. You have to grind it off. Something to remember, my Zippos from the factory eventually chip too...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 11:47:46 AM »
my thinking would be engrave it if possible. . . I know, not the answer you were looking for, but would be more durable than ink.
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline yorkie

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 12:45:33 PM »
my thinking would be engrave it if possible. . . I know, not the answer you were looking for, but would be more durable than ink.

Another thing I'm investigating is to use a blasting resist and selectively blast off the chrome to reveal the metal underneath. Last week i blasted the chrome off the bottom of a lighter and am watching the patina which is forming.