Author Topic: Anyone know much about the Tajima machines with 360mm head spacing?  (Read 4314 times)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Specifically I'm looking for/at the four head version.

I have a limited entrance into my shop (have to make 90 degree turns to get in) and this model is more narrow and only 7' long. I could work with this, as I have an 8' wide room I could make the turn in... it would be tight and I'd have to clear the room but it could be done. If not that machine I'd have to move my embroidery operation to another facility and I am trying to get away from having two locations for all my production work as it its, so I feel it would be a step backwards.

The other option is 2 head machines, the problem I have with that is they are almost the same price as a 4 head or 6 head and you don't get but a fraction of the production out of them (obviously).

What do people know about these guys? I think they refer to them as 436's vs 450's in the extended model numbers.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Re: Anyone know much about the Tajima machines with 360mm head spacing?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 12:40:38 PM »
As far as just over all embroidery size I would only buy a full size machine just because you will have jobs where people want largest embrodidery area possible.  10 of my 11 heads are 450s. I would only buy smaller area machines if it was a hat machine or small emb are only. 

Tajimas are great machines though.   
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 01:15:29 PM »
So you would suggest paying twice as much for two 2 head machines vs getting a smaller 4 head machine.

Most of my work is corporate left chest logos and hats.  I have one client that has asked for carhartt jacket back and it was a very simple lettering thing that was 10.5 inches.  That machine can do 11.

Even still a buddy of mine did that job for free last time (it was only 8 jackets).

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 07:22:26 PM »
So you would suggest paying twice as much for two 2 head machines vs getting a smaller 4 head machine.

Most of my work is corporate left chest logos and hats.  I have one client that has asked for carhartt jacket back and it was a very simple lettering thing that was 10.5 inches.  That machine can do 11.

Even still a buddy of mine did that job for free last time (it was only 8 jackets).

Basing it in the type of customers I have...   I'd be out of business with a 360mm machine.   So yes I'd suggest a full size machine as not to limit yourself.

Sounds like you already have your mind made up!  Go for the smaller machine. 

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 08:01:39 PM »
Frustrating isn't it?  LOL

I'm limited by shop size right now.

I'm not sure I ever really want to be doing massive jacket backs like you do.  I'd rather do left/right chest, sleeves and caps.  Around me I think corporate stuff is where it is... I'd get a 12 head if I had the room.  I'm looking for qty in my bang for buck.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 06:47:17 AM »
Frustrating isn't it?  LOL

I'm limited by shop size right now.

I'm not sure I ever really want to be doing massive jacket backs like you do.  I'd rather do left/right chest, sleeves and caps.  Around me I think corporate stuff is where it is... I'd get a 12 head if I had the room.  I'm looking for qty in my bang for buck.

Not a bit.

You will get to do Jacket backs one way or another, the question is will you loose a 1000pc hat run over the lack of ability to do 10 large jacket backs.   Many customers will want it in one spot.  Not that you can't outsource it, but you get my point.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 08:49:36 AM »
I rarely sew large size stuff.  I am not a fan of it frankly.  Brandt loves it, and I am glad he can make it work.  With 7 heads, it takes too much time.  Send the stuff like that out to larger shops that sew it cheap.

Also, having 2 machines is a blessing.  If 1 goes down, the other one can crank orders.  If you have a thread break on 1 head, only 2 heads stop rather than all 4..see my point?

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 09:17:50 AM »
I rarely sew large size stuff.  I am not a fan of it frankly.  Brandt loves it, and I am glad he can make it work.  With 7 heads, it takes too much time.  Send the stuff like that out to larger shops that sew it cheap.

Also, having 2 machines is a blessing.  If 1 goes down, the other one can crank orders.  If you have a thread break on 1 head, only 2 heads stop rather than all 4..see my point?

Wouldn't say "I love" it.  I do know that in my life I have generally tried to buy more machine than I needed and its allowed me to do work that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to or would have had to find someone to do it for me.  It's seemed to work for me.  Like the Sportsman, I would have been fine in the 16x18 version of it.  Hell I would have been fine in a Diamondback even,  but I do several jobs a month that I wouldn't have been able to do if I hadn't got the 20x20 Sportsman.  Same with my embroidery machines, even tough we do more hats than anything, I sew large jacket backs basically daily.  It's nice to load up 8 jacket backs that take a couple hours or so and let them run while we are making money screen printing, or designing, or digitizing the next job.  This IMO is FREE money, they often run without stopping or very little stopping, and you dont really have to babysit them the whole time.  Every ones business model is different but I would rather a machine run than it not.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 02:22:13 PM »
Bump because I'm bored at jury duty.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 02:36:51 PM »
Sounds like your trying to stuff 10 lbs of sh!t in a 5lb bag... ;D
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 02:52:05 PM »
Ugghhh I may have Jury Duty on the 27th

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 05:05:47 PM »

You will be in the AC. What are you crying about......lol Gerry PM on how that short job came out. I am curious.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 05:07:05 PM »
Sounds like your trying to stuff 10 lbs of sh!t in a 5lb bag... ;D

Story of my life!

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 06:23:22 PM »
Call Jim Wesolowski.  770-774-1696 or 770-480-7105.  Hirsch head of Southeast
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline prozyan

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 10:55:55 PM »

Commit a felony.  In retrospect, that might have been the best thing I ever did in my life since I never have jury duty.   :o
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?