Author Topic: Backing?  (Read 2501 times)

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Backing?
« on: August 13, 2012, 04:57:09 PM »
So I am going to get dirty and embroider some of the high end moisture wicking polos. My question is what backing do you guys that use on these? I have run some of the lower end performance stuff with no real issues but I want to be safe on a 20+ dollar polo. The design is some text with a circle around it. I do not foresee too much pulling. Thanks.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline ScreenPrinter123

Re: Backing?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 05:07:49 PM »
I am new to the world of embroidery but we just did a couple hundred left chest on the bottom of the barrel moisture management shirts and used two layers of medium cutaway and that worked well for us.

I know this is not very specific so it might not help much but I thought I would offer what little information I had that was related to your question.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 05:11:30 PM »
I do mesh on the shirt then cut away behind that, sometimes two. I heard wax paper helps lube the needle but I didn't notice a difference.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »
I am new to the world of embroidery but we just did a couple hundred left chest on the bottom of the barrel moisture management shirts and used two layers of medium cutaway and that worked well for us.

I know this is not very specific so it might not help much but I thought I would offer what little information I had that was related to your question.

Any info is always appreciated. You never know when that small tidbit might help someone. Thanks for sharing guys.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 07:14:00 AM »
Performance backing is a way to go. Cutaway looks Ok when embroidered, but curls up over time.
I'm working on some Nike moisture wicking shirts to and use performance backing only. On really thin ones, I will use black mesh in between the backing and the shirt to prevent white showing through (Dark shirts).
This is my first time using performance backing, but right now, it looks much better than anything else I have used before.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 09:21:25 AM »
Performance backing is a way to go. Cutaway looks Ok when embroidered, but curls up over time.
I'm working on some Nike moisture wicking shirts to and use performance backing only. On really thin ones, I will use black mesh in between the backing and the shirt to prevent white showing through (Dark shirts).
This is my first time using performance backing, but right now, it looks much better than anything else I have used before.

Link?

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 09:37:23 AM »
I got some adhesive back stuff too. Does that help at all? I do have some of the web no-show. Is that what your talking about Dennis?
www.inkwerksspd.com

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 09:46:00 AM »
Never heard of the performance backing so I would be curious to see where you get it from as well.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 09:48:04 AM »
http://www.sewmanyparts.com/pages/Shop/category/113/

Web no show was a way to go until I went to ISS show and took embroidery class. They talked about this stuff and I ordered some samples after I came back home. I will never go back to web only. You garment has to be hooped not to tight either, you will stretch the garment and that will make anything curl.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 03:58:43 PM »
Just placed an order with them... needed a few things anyway and they have some pretty good prices.

Thanks Dennis!

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 04:14:29 PM »
You are welcome!!!