Author Topic: Whats a good mesh for high tension  (Read 2616 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Whats a good mesh for high tension
« on: October 16, 2012, 01:28:26 PM »
This morning I was bringing some of my frames mesh back to high tension maybe not really high about 30N and so I,m getting everything really for emulsion and I hear a ripping sound.  Yep the mesh I just brought up has ripped, now mine you these screens have been work harden and that could be the reason allso old mesh, so I,m needing to buy some new mesh 230 and above...whats good and who has it?

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: Whats a good mesh for high tension
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 01:48:27 PM »
Work hardened mesh needs to be handled delicately when trying to retension.  I've busted many a screen trying to get it back up a few newtons when I shouldn't have.  Retensioning a newer screen that has been through production a few times is still resilient but those work hardened ones are almost better left alone most of the time.  Only if it's way off it's recommended tension level would I try to retension one.

The only mesh that can really handle "high" tension at those higher counts is the newman roller mesh.  I get our 205's up to 60 newtons regularly.  Unfortunately there aren't many different options, 205, 228, 272 and 300 but Don doesn't really tell us what the micron thickness of the mesh is or the TIV of the mesh so I really can only tell you the tension level and % open area of the newman mesh.  I think the 228 would serve you well, we have about 20 of the 205's in production and they are tough, I've only had one bust in the last 8 months.  The 228 is probably very strong as well, and will handle 62 newtons.  I've never used the 228, only 102, 128, and 205 from newman but I'm confident that it's a good general purpose mesh that is very hardy and can handle a lot more abuse than the murakami smartmesh, saati and sefar mesh that we have in stock.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 02:14:47 PM »
Thanks Alan, but 60n I don't think my frames will handle that before they bow in I know the olders roller frames won't.  I,m looking to buy a roll of mesh and cut my own.

Darryl

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 02:19:18 PM »
The only 'high tensiion' mesh good for 40n and above is roller mesh.

The 228 mesh has been discontinued and replaced by 272 mesh. The 272 mesh covers the 230 /270 mesh range and prints incredible.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 02:09:19 AM »
Yep, newman roller mesh.  Loves high tension, tough as hell and spendy as all get out.  GSG might still have some on sale.

Alan, ask George Mannao for the sheet with the thread diameter if you want it.   Or, let me know and I'll email it to you next I'm at a computer.  Thread diameter is similar to Murakami's T mesh but somehow stronger in my experience.

Darryl, in my opinion, there is two awesome mesh brands- the roller mesh and murakami's s mesh.  Way different requirements but both great.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 12:19:48 PM »
Sonny called me and I might get some mesh from them, he said they use Saati mesh, I think is a pretty good brand don't know.

Darryl

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 12:41:02 PM »
Interesting note on work hardened mesh. Can you guys "feel" when a screen has been work hardened?
I can almost just look at one and see "that guys been around for awhile."

They do get an almost brittleness to them. I know mesh is supposed to be pretty inert but I imagine countless
trips through the print/reclaim/etc cycle take their toll.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 01:18:08 PM »
I can tell as well when the mesh has been around a while.  I guess in a perfect world you shouldn't have any issues with the mesh becoming brittle with time and trips through the reclaim process but that stuff is put through a lot when you really think about it.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 02:44:44 PM »
The work hardened mesh definatly has a stiffness or brittleness to it. I love the smartmesh and it is on most of our screens. It is a little delicate but if your guys are careful you should not have any issues.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin