Author Topic: Wilcom  (Read 4572 times)

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Wilcom
« on: October 17, 2012, 10:53:01 AM »
We have the Wilcom top level digitizing software with dongle and all that fun stuff.

Does anyone know if you can install that on a second machine and just move dongle back and forth between computers when its being used on that specific computer.  I ask because Shelly is doing most of our digitizing and has the software on her machine.  However another employee is starting to run the machines often and it would be handy if she could use the program to do name drops and such as she learns more digitize.

Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Wilcom
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 10:59:32 AM »
I would bet that you could... might be in the grey area but I know of other dongle based software that the office did that (they have since closed up shop)... it was cabinet design software to the tune of 20k (not much different than wilcom in many regards.

So I would say yes... basically those types of software checks for the dongles when starting up (maybe periodically while running as well).  So just have it shut down before removing the dongle and then move it and you should be fine.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 11:05:18 AM »
I would bet that you could... might be in the grey area but I know of other dongle based software that the office did that (they have since closed up shop)... it was cabinet design software to the tune of 20k (not much different than wilcom in many regards.

So I would say yes... basically those types of software checks for the dongles when starting up (maybe periodically while running as well).  So just have it shut down before removing the dongle and then move it and you should be fine.

Thanks, I assumed so as well.  You assume shut down as in program shut down not machine shut down correct?

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 11:14:15 AM »
You can install on multiple machines but just like you thought you have to switch the dongle. You cannot pull the dongle when the prog is open on one machine or it just freezes or throws you a warning, not a bad thing of course because it forces people to save and stay organized.
"No man is an island"

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 11:15:19 AM »
You can install on multiple machines but just like you thought you have to switch the dongle. You cannot pull the dongle when the prog is open on one machine or it just freezes or throws you a warning, not a bad thing of course because it forces people to save and stay organized.

Perfect!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 11:20:38 AM »
Basically Mike covered it... but yeah, just shut down the program.. those dongles are only looked at when the program is active.  I highly doubt you would even need to do a "safe removal".

Offline bj

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 01:40:12 PM »
Just be careful with the dongle though.....people start handling it and it gets broke or lost, it will cost you.  They will not just send you a new one, you will have to pay for it.   

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 01:55:05 PM »
Just be careful with the dongle though.....people start handling it and it gets broke or lost, it will cost you.  They will not just send you a new one, you will have to pay for it.

For sure.  It's only gonna go back and fourth a few feet. 

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 04:00:26 PM »
you could also get a usb switch if they are close enough, that way you wouldn't have to unplug it.

Also, try a usb splitter, might work, I dunno.  Worth a few bucks to try.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 04:23:57 PM »
Didn't think of that... I use one for sharing a couple of those Fujitsu scanners between users.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 08:35:12 PM »
Could be worth a shot.  Safe walking back and forth and handling it.

Offline bj

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 12:40:52 PM »
I really would try their suggestion.  I had an issue with a dongle a while back that I would switch between computers.  My software started crashing half way during digitizing designs and the only thing new was that I was moving it from one computer to another. Nothing else had been updated etc... so the only conclusion was the dongle.   We were in the middle of remodeling so it was just easier for me at that time to move the dongle but in the end it costed me.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 01:09:18 PM »
Am I missing it or does NewEgg not sell USB switches?

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 01:11:40 PM »

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 01:55:40 PM »
I don't have the info in front of me but I'm 99% sure I got it somewhere's else.  Maybe PC Mall or tiger or something... I really don't know.