Author Topic: EOM?  (Read 5004 times)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Re: EOM?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 12:59:19 PM »
I think drying the screen with the print side down is very important .
That's what I beleived for years. For my shop it turned out to be wrong. We have two drying cabinets. One horizontal, one vertical- originally planned for reclaimed screens. When you compare EOM and printed ink thickness you cannot tell the difference. I have to add that vertical cabinet is extremly efficient in drying emulsion.

Boris

I have never tested this but I can agree with you on this. Here in Arizona the squeegee side of the screen will dry really fast. If letting the screen set horizontal even has a chance to help it has to be done in the first 5 to 10 mins. You take that and the high mess we all use I don't think the emulsion even has a chance to migrate through the mess. I think I will do a test. I am going to take a 155 mesh screen and pour some emulsion on top of the mesh. I bet the emulsion will not even go through the screen. Stand by.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 01:28:55 PM by Screened Gear »

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 01:27:55 PM »
Ok so I took a 155 screen and poured a small about of emulsion on top. About a 3 table spoons. I did this with a room temp emulsion and a refrigerated one. In the first min the room temp did penetrate the mesh. The refrigerated version did not. After 5 mins the room temp was dripping from the bottom of the screen on to the table. The refrigerated one was still not penetrating the mess. After about ten mins the refrigerated one did penetrate the mesh in one area were the emulsion was the thickest on top. At 10 mins both emulsions started to harden on the edges.

This test is not real world since you would never have that much emulsion on the top of a screen It was a good 1/8th thick or more on top of the mesh. The added emulsion gives alot more driving force then you would have from a scraped smooth squeegee side. I was surprised the thinner viscosity room temp emulsion went through the mesh so fast. But as I said earlier this was a ridiculous about of emulsion on top of the mesh. Even with the thick of a deposit of emulsion the edges were still hardening in less than 10 mins. This does not prove anything but it does shop you need a thick deposit of low viscosity emulsion to even have a chance to have much if any migration. I will think of a few other tests to do but it would take a major finding to change anything I am currently doing.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 01:41:09 PM »
I think drying the screen with the print side down is very important .
That's what I beleived for years. For my shop it turned out to be wrong. We have two drying cabinets. One horizontal, one vertical- originally planned for reclaimed screens. When you compare EOM and printed ink thickness you cannot tell the difference. I have to add that vertical cabinet is extremly efficient in drying emulsion.

Boris

I guess that would depend on the viscosity of the emulsion you are using. I know that for us on thicker stencils I can notice if the screen was not laying flat as the emulsion shifts to the lower side before setting in. I can see where on a thin stencil it might snot shift as much.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 01:58:30 PM »
Pierre please explain the term "snot shift" it is new to me

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 02:02:25 PM »
Its not that the emulsion is moving to the shirt side. You dry screens shirt side down so that the emulsion does not move to the squeegee side during the drying time. When you do your final coat on the squeegee side your driving all the emulsion to the shirt side. There is very little emulsion on the squeegee side after that last squeegee side coat.

Taking an EOM measurement does not tell you where the emulsion is. Its just a measurement of overall thickness of the mesh with emulsion applied. We could way over think this but the only real measurement is if the screen prints the way you need it to. If it works drying them vertical than good. I think we all get caught up in what is the best practice. If drying them vertical makes you loose a few microns of shirt side emulsion then its not a big deal. That is unless your coating process only leaves you with a few microns of error.

I really need to stop over thinking these things it only gets in the way of making money.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 02:14:50 PM by Screened Gear »

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »

something to do with viscosity using common terms that most can relate to!  ;D
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2012, 02:07:46 PM »

something to do with viscosity using common terms that most can relate to!  ;D

I think your giving Pierre to much credit for a typo.

I can see where on a thin stencil it might not shift as much.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2012, 02:24:08 PM »
Ummm guess I forgot to add a smiley face. Obviously I knew what he meant. But I like the term we should use it often. Actually with the abrupt weather changes down here I am actually experience some form of Snot Shift. :) theres your damn smiley face!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2012, 02:49:16 PM »

it'snot supposed to be snot!  ;D

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2012, 08:57:12 AM »
Its not that the emulsion is moving to the shirt side. You dry screens shirt side down so that the emulsion does not move to the squeegee side during the drying time. When you do your final coat on the squeegee side your driving all the emulsion to the shirt side. There is very little emulsion on the squeegee side after that last squeegee side coat.

Taking an EOM measurement does not tell you where the emulsion is. Its just a measurement of overall thickness of the mesh with emulsion applied. We could way over think this but the only real measurement is if the screen prints the way you need it to. If it works drying them vertical than good. I think we all get caught up in what is the best practice. If drying them vertical makes you loose a few microns of shirt side emulsion then its not a big deal. That is unless your coating process only leaves you with a few microns of error.

I really need to stop over thinking these things it only gets in the way of making money.

It can be measured.  My paint thickness gauge takes pin point measurements.

If you take a thick EOM screen and put it vertical when you dry it, it will definitely "shift" and be thicker towards the bottom vs the top.

Now if you are talking about print side down vs squeegee side down then I'm not sure there is a point to the discussion... if you are going to set it horizontal then just put it shirt side down and be done with it... even if it doesn't make a difference there is also no reason not to do it that way. *shrug*

Panes of glass eventually (YEARS) shift and get thin at top and thick at the bottom, so I'm a heavy deposit of emulsion will do the same.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2012, 08:59:01 AM »
Panes of glass eventually (YEARS) shift and get thin at top and thick at the bottom, so I'm a heavy deposit of emulsion will do the same.

This is why I rotate my windows. ;)

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2012, 09:21:36 AM »

This is why I rotate my windows. ;)

When you tour around the region in a band named "Liquid Sand" you end up learning a lot of things you never thought you would learn. ;)