Author Topic: Imagesetters (split from what have you prrinted lately)  (Read 4120 times)

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Imagesetters (split from what have you prrinted lately)
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 12:47:27 PM »
Awesome print Zoo. Wasatch Rip will let you produce Stochastic dots. I am looking at that one real hard. It is just a little on the pricy side which sucks.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 01:02:38 PM »
I've heard that before, but when you look at a RIP that will do these extra things outside just converting to traditional halftones, it's an added benefit. For the peeps that take advantage of a good rip as best they can, it's worth the additional cost. Some rips for offset that do these extra things can be as high as 10-20k.

A really good RIp does much more than our normal requirements to get dots on film.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 12:19:56 PM »
How much is Wasatch?

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 01:40:01 PM »
http://www.wasatch.com/pricing.html

the problem is, you will need to upgrade from the regular version to one of the more expensive ones to get the stochastic support. Last  I talked to them, it was $1100 for the full package (desktop version supporting up to 17" wide printers).

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 01:42:37 PM »
Just terrible pictures as usual (why is it so hard to take pics of shirts???) but here's a 6co I just ran today on silver and ash grey seafoam.  My first "full color" dc sim process.

Sericol and CCI inks.
330/30 S on all screens.
60 lpi
Seps by Mr. Dan who did a bang up job.

Smoothest full color job I've ran in awhile- only had to bump one screen with the micros and that was the worst of it - but damn, what a workout doing this manually. 

You can see in the close ups that the overall pic doesn't really tell the story, it looks gorgeous in real life and is not overly darkened on the black as it appears on the crappy pic- the opalescent, "mother of pearl" tones that were pulled off kinda blew my mind.  I over saturated the colors a little form the original piece knowing the dc inks would have a rough time getting enough penetration through this mesh and expecting a little fade out after the first couple washings.  It looked great on the ash grey seafoam too which I was skeptical about.

Only thing I wish is that the black would have been stepped on to smooth out the dots, the rest of the dots are truly invisible to the naked eye but can be seen on these macro and super macros.  Print is at about 12x18.

that looks GREAT!!! Did you do anything to the inks?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 02:18:32 PM »
Imagesetter film is actually pretty inexpensive, for now. Not quite inkjet film prices but close.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 02:40:21 PM »
Pierre, I did use different levels of activator (lower) than normal on this but that's about it on the ink side.  There was some tweaking from the "starter" pantone formulas of course.  Otherwise just CCI white/base and Sericol colors out of the buckets.

You guys would wretch if you saw how bad some parts of my prepress were for this...I could do a lot better on that front but the difference at this point would be "for printers only" if you know what I mean.

eb do you avoid running your imagesetter due to the chem setup/maintenance?  I would pay for it if it was not unreasonable just to get those sweet films and, just as beneficial, accurately pre-punched for the pin lock.   The pre-punch would actually justify the cost easily I imagine. 

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »
Yep.

Inkjet is just so much more convenient, and perfectly fine for about %99.99 of what we do.

The things are heavy as hell. Like pallet heavy.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 08:53:32 AM »
Do you worry about companies discontinuing the imagesetter film?  It happened with stat cameras.  Just wondering if it will happen with that too if all that is left are screen print shops.  Or if most companies will discontinue it and the few that keep making it will jack the prices up.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 09:57:56 AM »
I ran this bad boy when I worked for Russell Athletics in Columbus Ga.  We did all of the pro licenses semi and college.

we could do 36" wide sim process prints back in the day.

http://www.kitmondo.com/agfa-agfa-avantra-44s/ref453246

We just got rid of one of those (About 1.5 years ago) when we wend direct-to-plate at my full time job.
The only difference, we were doing negatives instead of positives :)

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 07:13:39 PM »
The shop in Daytona I work at occasionally has an old AGFA 1000. The films are gorgeous. When I was doing work for an offset shop they had one just like it, run off my old Mac PowerPC 7100, OS9 that I'd sold them. That shop picked it up for about 2 grand from a service bureau across the street that went t!ts up .
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .