Author Topic: OSHA/Nazdar  (Read 9239 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
OSHA/Nazdar
« on: December 20, 2012, 07:13:33 AM »
Got a suprise visit from the Government Tues. Having survived Disney audits and the like we are pretty compliant physically however in my absense the previous PM collected samples of just about everything. While most are not in use turns out if it's in the bldg you must have the MSDS docs to back it up or you must dispose of it. One call to Nazdar and I had practically everything in minutes so hats off to them for that.
Theres a lot more to mention (Lockout/Tagout, PPE, Emergency exit plans, needle disposal containers,etc) but to be of interest to most is that, per OSHA, absolutely no container can be without a copy of the MFGRs label with identity and hazard information

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: OSHA/Nazdar
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 10:24:29 AM »
Really good info. Thanks for taking the time to share that.

D

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 12:03:48 PM »
Most of us dismiss OSHA as "they'll never visit us" but if they do expect fines. I just finished our one hour exit interview. Fines reduced from 5K to under 1K. Penalties?
No lockout/Tag out program.
Fans with ungrounded plugs.
Extension cords used as permanent wiring.
Circuit breaker boxes poorly labeled and blocked.(abated)
Haz Mat comm. (abated)
No emergency exit plans(abated)

The abated items were due to the fact that we resolved them since Tuesday.
BTW did you know in many counties the Fire Dept can site you for thigs like combustables (clothing)need to be three feet from Dryers?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 12:07:54 PM »
" Fire Dept can site you for thigs like combustables (clothing)need to be three feet from Dryers?"

Hmmm. 
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 12:19:43 PM »
We had our Fire Marshall inspection earlier this month. No fines because they first give yo time to resolve their infractions. All in all we came out fine, he had issues with extension cords for equipment, needs to be plugged directly into a socket. Even with heavy guage extension cords. One minor issue with access to the breaker panel and our rear steps needs the iron railings rewelded because they were damaged heavily by the bad winter two winters past.
"No man is an island"

Offline pwalsh

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 01:22:11 PM »
Got a suprise visit from the Government Tues. Having survived Disney audits and the like we are pretty compliant physically however in my absense the previous PM collected samples of just about everything. While most are not in use turns out if it's in the bldg you must have the MSDS docs to back it up or you must dispose of it. One call to Nazdar and I had practically everything in minutes so hats off to them for that.
Theres a lot more to mention (Lockout/Tagout, PPE, Emergency exit plans, needle disposal containers,etc) but to be of interest to most is that, per OSHA, absolutely no container can be without a copy of the MFGRs label with identity and hazard information

Tony:  Thanks so much for taking the time to recognize the good work of Nazdar’s Regulatory Compliance / Health & Safety Team.  This group is a great resource for the Nazdar Company, and the customers we serve.  I’m sure they will get a great lift reading your post.  I’m glad that you were successful in getting most of the other issues taken care of as well. 
Peter G. Walsh - Executive Vice President
The M&R Companies - Roselle, IL USA
Email:  peter.walsh@mrprint.com
Office 847-410-3445 / Cell 913-579-6662

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 03:09:30 PM »
No problem Peter.....credit where it's due.
Another tidbit I forgot to mention about respirators. If you provide them without implementing a Respiratory Protection Program well then....That's a Paddlin'.
You will get cited for this. The company must provide proper testing, fitting and annual medical evaluation. All of this must be documented and kept in the employee file.
Oh and no facial hair.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 03:21:33 PM »
Peter I forgot to mention I was recieving e-mails with MSDS attachments before I was even off the phone with the rep! It was Norm.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 03:33:55 PM »
Are their different requirements depending on how many employees you have?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 04:26:23 PM »
No not to my knowledge. Also there is no sharing of respirators. Nother Paddlin'

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 05:39:40 PM »
Might as well take the damn respirators away then since nobody will ever wear them around here.

Looks like I got some work to do.  We pass the fire marshal's inspections with flying colors but I'm sure OSHA would be a bit more strict and go for things I have not thought about or just haven't gotten around to.  I was an inspector in a previous career so I'm used to looking for things that are out of compliance with government regs so I know a lot of what to look for.  I've put things off long enough and need to take care of them.  I also worked for the retail giant for 7 years and for a few of those I was the one who was in charge of OSHA compliance for the sales floor.  When it comes to the gov inspectors, at least the dozen or so I've had to walk job sites and sales floors with, it's all about how good or bad they are at their job, whether or not they give a damn and what their personal pet peeves are.  I've been on the same job site with two different EPA inspectors and they didn't even come close to citing the same things, it was actually an eye opening experience and quite funny.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 05:54:14 PM »
No not to my knowledge. Also there is no sharing of respirators. Nother Paddlin'

Respirators need to be fit tested, correct and dated cartridges and no facial hair or other items such as piercing that will compromise the seal against your face. Really useless if it does not fit right and or leaks, false sense of security.   

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 03:01:26 AM »

Respirators need to be fit tested, correct and dated cartridges and no facial hair or other items such as piercing that will compromise the seal against your face. Really useless if it does not fit right and or leaks, false sense of security.

I agree 100%. I know someone that uses one from time to time on a  construction/painting gig and hasn't changed the filter in like 3 years. What's the point.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 09:06:06 AM »
they actually will still block particulate matter and for construction, that matters more.  Most paints contain very low VOC's, it's the dust and debris that is more harmful in new construction and remodeling.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 11:38:19 AM »
so where would a respirator be required in the screenprinting shop?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!