Author Topic: OSHA Requirments  (Read 8951 times)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
OSHA Requirments
« on: December 20, 2012, 05:44:41 PM »
Anybody have a listing of what OSHA requirements are for our business?

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: OSHA Requirments
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 10:31:01 PM »
Are you sure you want to know.....this is their idea of horse safety so you can imagine what an auto press would look like
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 10:33:31 PM »
Are you sure you want to know.....this is their idea of horse safety so you can imagine what an auto press would look like
mooseman
LOL. I would like to know. I have been in our current shop over 2 years and have not had a fire or OSHA inspection and I know I have things that are not kosher. We will be moving to a new location really soon and would really like to get our ducks in a row.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 12:19:29 AM »
mooseman
LOL. I would like to know. I have been in our current shop over 2 years and have not had a fire or OSHA inspection and I know I have things that are not kosher. We will be moving to a new location really soon and would really like to get our ducks in a row.

Well I foresee a problem right away if you have ducks running around helter skelter.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 12:22:23 AM »
Dang ducks. I need to get some of those Duck Dynasty duck calls

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 01:08:31 AM »
Moose, your horse has no slow moving vehicle triangle, normally a serious and egregious violation that can easily have your steed's less seemly parts violated by all manner of faster moving animate, or inanimate objects...objects normally considered disgusting to unsuspecting horse flesh.

But not to worry, I've taken the liberty of calling the authorities. They will be at your door soon, just to...you know... help out.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 03:07:33 AM by Itsa Little CrOoked »

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 02:56:01 AM »
I wish there was just some general list to go off. We have been open 6 years in two locations and never one visit. Knocking down walls and taking over the the warehouse next door in January. (That's going to be a long weekend) So hopefully we will continue to have no visits. In Seattle we have just had to pay city officials off basically whenever something has risen. Better to ask forgiveness than permission around here if you want to get anything done.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 07:48:08 AM »
More on this later. Sorry end of year stuff etc. Short answer OSHA, with regards to manufacturing and production facilities does not discriminate. I will have links later for more info. Be prepared to s your pants

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 08:11:34 AM »
OSHA visited Logo Sportswear a couple years ago. They are right down the road from us just over the town border, they are a bit smaller than us and no auto. Cafe Press bought them and with in a month OSHA was there. Not sure if there is a correlation because of Cafe Press but I know two of the employees and they got hammered. Some where north of 10K just in fines and at least that much to bring in to compliance. It had us over here quite nervous, we have pretty much the basics but as Tony pointed out they will always find something.
"No man is an island"

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 08:17:03 AM »
Moose, your horse has no slow moving vehicle triangle, normally a serious and egregious violation that can easily have your steed's less seemly parts violated by all manner of faster moving animate, or inanimate objects...objects normally considered disgusting to unsuspecting horse flesh.

But not to worry, I've taken the liberty of calling the authorities. They will be at your door soon, just to...you know... help out.

hey man I really appreciate that help, to that end i thought i would send my two best employees over to assist you in sharpening you decision making skills. Nick and Rocco should be there soon with my complements ;)
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 08:20:53 AM »
You could start reading the CFR's. I think it's about 120 or so volumes usually around 300 pages not including marine, mine, etc. Talk about confusing!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 08:35:14 AM »
PW mag is trying to dig out an article I penned on compliance. Although it is more than ten ys old it is pretty current with regards to most issues. It will at least save me some typing!

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 08:38:20 AM »
I sat in on an OSHA workshop a while back presented by the owner of a local SIGN company in Wichita.  In fact, they are next door right now as I type this, installing a new sign for our neighbors.

OSHA had previously showed up on a jobsite where their 100" SkyHook Crane was already working, with a man in the bucket.  This joker alerted the crane operator he was from OSHA, donned his hard hat and harness, and climbed the crane's ladders 80' striaght up to the distraught worker in the bucket to check to see if he was tied off. (He was)  Then an hour or so later, they showed up at their sign facility and found all manner of violations.

These guys can be ruthless, vindictive *&$%!#!s and care not a whit....if they put you out of business.

The reader's digest version of my take away was this: (and at the time, we were an OLD line, full service manufacturing sign company, certainly with many potential violations.) If OHSA shows up, your options range from Not Good to Worse to VERY BAD.  Don't completely dismiss the idea of just locking the front door and putting up signs that says "Closed" and  "For Sale".   That is pretty much a direct quote by the presenter, and he wasn't kidding.  He became and remains a friend of mine, but he recently sold the company and retired.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 09:04:20 AM »
IMO it will only get worse as budgets are threatened and people are justifying their jobs. They do not want to have their budget cut and use the inspections as a way to justify it.   The added bonus is with the fines it is generated income for them. But on the other hand the system is in place to protect the workers, some are not smart enough to protect them selfs.

It is possiable to get through an inspection without any infractions. I have been through some in other industries but the companies all had safety and compliance officers to keep up with existing and new regs.

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 09:09:15 AM »
I'll see your "safety and compliance officer" and raise you...oh....an "attorney and an insurance agent".