Author Topic: White waterbased ink cracking after drying  (Read 281 times)

Offline OhNoPrinting

• Verified/Junior
  • I’m new here, be gentle. :) Lets help each other out!
White waterbased ink cracking after drying
« on: April 07, 2024, 08:42:00 AM »
well, after I couldn´t get super reliable white with discharge, i switched to waterbased ink. Was a bit nervous about opacity, but: preflashed the shirt and first stroke already very nice white, then flash, print again. I flash again to take the shirt savely from the pallet to a drying rack and later to send them all in one go through the conveyor dryer.

I let the shirts go 2 times, each 160 degree C for around 1.20 min. After that I stretched it: cracking. Decided to send them two more times: this run with 180 degree C and 1.20min. still the ink cracks. Pressed them in a last effort with the heat press for 30 sec at 160 degree. still cracking. (did 99 sec on a test-shirt: still same outcome)

I read that I can:
- overheat the ink (but after 2 runs in the dryer it was already cracking?)
- use too much ink?
- not getting the ink deep enough? (i already used a 43t and a lot of force)

Is there anything else I can try now? or is it learning experience and I have to do it again?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: White waterbased ink cracking after drying
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2024, 01:52:40 PM »
The first thought in my mind is how STRONG are you stretching?  Any ink will crack given enough force unless you have also used a stretch additive (not used that often but I have on girls stretchy shirts).  I guess stretch the shirt close to or a little more than it would stretch when worn.

I'm sure there are others here to chime in with lots better answers but that was my first thought.

Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2024, 08:34:07 PM »
well, after I couldn´t get super reliable white with discharge, i switched to waterbased ink. Was a bit nervous about opacity, but: preflashed the shirt and first stroke already very nice white, then flash, print again. I flash again to take the shirt savely from the pallet to a drying rack and later to send them all in one go through the conveyor dryer.

I let the shirts go 2 times, each 160 degree C for around 1.20 min. After that I stretched it: cracking. Decided to send them two more times: this run with 180 degree C and 1.20min. still the ink cracks. Pressed them in a last effort with the heat press for 30 sec at 160 degree. still cracking. (did 99 sec on a test-shirt: still same outcome)

I read that I can:
- overheat the ink (but after 2 runs in the dryer it was already cracking?)
- use too much ink?
- not getting the ink deep enough? (i already used a 43t and a lot of force)

Is there anything else I can try now? or is it learning experience and I have to do it again?

What ink are you using? Permaset?

Offline OhNoPrinting

• Verified/Junior
  • I’m new here, be gentle. :) Lets help each other out!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2024, 08:45:07 AM »
I guess normal wear is ok, but i don´t need to stretch too much to see these cracks..

The ink is from a local distributor - my guess is, he is rebranding it and it could be AMEX MANOUKIAN, but that is really just a guess and i don´t want to write, so i don´t bad mouth anybody because i can print :-)

Also the ink might just be old? I read, that waterbased ink gets funky?

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2024, 09:26:59 AM »
I guess normal wear is ok, but i don´t need to stretch too much to see these cracks..

The ink is from a local distributor - my guess is, he is rebranding it and it could be AMEX MANOUKIAN, but that is really just a guess and i don´t want to write, so i don´t bad mouth anybody because i can print :-)

Also the ink might just be old? I read, that waterbased ink gets funky?
There are Matsui whites that crack too when being stretched. really depends on how much you stretch. Permaset inks do easily crack.