Author Topic: Wide Format Film Output for 65 lpi and beyond...  (Read 3820 times)

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Wide Format Film Output for 65 lpi and beyond...
« on: June 13, 2011, 11:27:19 AM »
We've recently acquired a Tempo, a Cameo and some of those weird diamond chase medium format frames and are looking forward to increased resolution that comes with printing small format (wide format to us textile printers I suppose) flatstock.  I'm also looking to up our textile print/art capabilities and find myself wondering what sort of device(s) are out there that can hold 65lpi and higher dots. 

55lpi seems to be pushing it on our current 4800/Accurip setup.  I hear tell that the 7/9xxx series epsons can handle the higher line screens due to the fact that they aren't simulating the dpi needed to get there but have that capability in the firmware.   Gain on the inkjet I think necessitates a pretty high resolution, despite use of profiles.

So those of you printing with high-line screens, what's your preferred way to get those positives?

Offline squeezee

Re: Wide Format Film Output for 65 lpi and beyond...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 06:53:34 PM »
I can get 120lpi out of a 4xxx series printer.  I use Wasatch.
The 9700 can get 120lpi 4 colour or 150lpi spot.
imagesetters for screenprinting  A Troll-free zone :-)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 08:29:45 PM »
We've recently acquired a Tempo, a Cameo and some of those weird diamond chase medium format frames and are looking forward to increased resolution that comes with printing small format (wide format to us textile printers I suppose) flatstock.  I'm also looking to up our textile print/art capabilities and find myself wondering what sort of device(s) are out there that can hold 65lpi and higher dots. 

55lpi seems to be pushing it on our current 4800/Accurip setup.  I hear tell that the 7/9xxx series epsons can handle the higher line screens due to the fact that they aren't simulating the dpi needed to get there but have that capability in the firmware.   Gain on the inkjet I think necessitates a pretty high resolution, despite use of profiles.

So those of you printing with high-line screens, what's your preferred way to get those positives?

interesting . . . I do not have any issues with 60 lpi on my 3000, so I would imagine 4800 should be able to do it too. Try a free copy of Film Maker and see if that makes any difference. Or if you'd like to send me the film, I'll put it under the microscope and take a look. Also, since it will be here, I can take the densitometer reading so you know what your RIP is doing.
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 10:50:11 AM »
Wow, I guess I heard wrong on this.  I doubt we would ever need those uber-high lpi's mentioned but 65-85 for sure.  Maybe it's time for a new rip when we pick up the wide format printer.

Pierre, this is on AR and that is super generous of you to offer to check our films.  I'm going to take you up on that someday but won't trouble you with it during the busy season! 

I'll take a look at FM and Wasatch soon.

Offline Fluid

• !!!
  • Keep the Ink Moving... Stay Corelian My Friends!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 12:03:06 PM »
Wasatch is a great rip. I used one for many years until I upgraded and purchased a Techstyler.  I now use Harlequin RIP which I am extremely happy with.

Why are you needing to go that high with your dot size?  I can see maybe if there is a serious amount of tiny detail yet for the most part most designs for T's shouldn't need to go over 55. Dealing with dot gain with a dot above 55 is going to be tremendous, especially in a fast production environment
Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW MasterĀ® 

Offline squeezee

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 06:10:31 PM »
I'm not convince that Accurip can't do it, it's more likely the settings.
pm me.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 07:34:17 PM »
Wasatch is a great rip. I used one for many years until I upgraded and purchased a Techstyler.  I now use Harlequin RIP which I am extremely happy with.

I was looking at SoftRIP SP for a minute and it looks pretty ok to me, kinda laborious in the print dialogues though.  I'll check out Harlequin next. 

Why are you needing to go that high with your dot size?  I can see maybe if there is a serious amount of tiny detail yet for the most part most designs for T's shouldn't need to go over 55. Dealing with dot gain with a dot above 55 is going to be tremendous, especially in a fast production environment

Flatstock and I think we can handle over 55lpi on textiles or, at least, we're getting there. 

Offline Rick Roth

• Administrator
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 01:49:43 AM »
We use a 4880 Epson and Wasatch RIP and we have no problem with 65 line films. We also use a 4880 in our sister facility with AccuRIP and also do 65 no problem. We are doing photographs and other high end reproductions with no problems. Make sure you are cleaning the heads periodically. Also don't try and use lesser priced ink or lesser priced film to "save money" as you will not save money in the end. Unless you are printing color posters nearly every day, bail on your color cartridges and get a chip resetter and let those heads dry up, who cares. You will save thousands of dollars over the life of the machine by buying a couple of $20 resetters.
Rick Roth
Mirror Image Inc      Pawtucket, RI 
New blog: theinkkitchen.com
twitter: @TheInkKitchen
mirrorimage.com   and   monkeyfishprinting.com

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 02:47:15 PM »
We do get, and run, 65 lpi screens out of the accurip>4800 combo but dot shape is alright, not great.   I think I might trial some other rips with the larger format epson we'll have to get soon.  A rip that I could "teach" to do what I wanted would be best for us.  It's really the in-built ability to quickly and cleanly separate and print spot colors that I like and need.  They all do a pretty good job of laying down the right amount of ink once the settings are tuned so that's a non-issue.   

And thanks Rick, I do actually take all those measures.  If you aren't doing this already check this out- we use ink and a cleaning solution system from http://filmdirectonline.com/ and it's pretty great.  Leaves all the heads very clean and usable should you want more black cart's or a hybrid setup down the road. 

Offline squeezee

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 08:24:53 AM »
The 4800/4880 printers use K3 inks, you need a clever ink reduction strategy (such as the one in the Wasatch SP module) that allows high resolution and accurate ink deposit.
If you do not use a RIP with a monochrome setting, your 'black' will be made up of CMY plus a little black, it won't be as accurate as using a single head, the dots won't be as nice.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 08:31:35 AM »
The 4800/4880 printers use K3 inks, you need a clever ink reduction strategy (such as the one in the Wasatch SP module) that allows high resolution and accurate ink deposit.
If you do not use a RIP with a monochrome setting, your 'black' will be made up of CMY plus a little black, it won't be as accurate as using a single head, the dots won't be as nice.

Mine's running dye based and accurip allows for control of which heads print.  By "ink reduction" do you mean gain control?

Offline squeezee

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 10:52:04 AM »
The K3 inks work but are weaker than the Ultrachrome of the previous generation.  You need a higher resolution (which would ordinarily put too much ink down) and to remove some of the dots to get the correct amount of ink.