Author Topic: Dryers, new or used? that is the question . . .  (Read 5261 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Dryers, new or used? that is the question . . .
« on: June 16, 2011, 10:25:54 AM »
what are some thoughts on buying a used dryer. The new ones are $30k range for what I need and the used ones are $10k or less.
I realize that the new ones will be more efficient and have better insulation (we are in air conditioned space), but it will be a long time before the $20k difference is spent on the electric bill.

What are the pluses and minuses of the individual models?
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Dryers, new or used? that is the question . . .
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 10:40:07 AM »
Personally, if you have the money, go new.  They are more efficient, they are usually warranted, and you can get some decent deals on them right now.

I have an interchange md-8 and love it.  I wouldn't go back to radiant panels after using gas.  Just get the longest chamber you can fit or afford.  ours is 12 and I'd like it to be 16.

Offline BBB

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 10:50:03 AM »
I cant think of a piece of equipment that can ruin you faster...do the best you can, and do a bunch of shirts not cured correctly. Spend the most for your budget on for DRYER.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 11:01:34 AM »
I have a list of dryers I'm looking at too -so far the Precision is in the lead -but still looking at the M&R's, It's hard to tell what condition they are in without actually seeing it in person -even then I don't know what the hell I'm looking at. Brand new may be the way to go, you will never have to replace it -you'll retire first. But on the other hand, if you find a nice refurb, the same can be said about that, if it was maintained properly. Saving 20g to put towards another auto.

what are your requirements? I'm looking at 60" belt minimum, 10ft of heat, not too sure about the in/out length yet.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
you need to go more than 10' of heat.  I have 12 and wish I had 16'.  Also, with the interchange dryers, they are modular, so you can add more heat down the road.

When precision went tits up, a lot of people went to interchange.  I couldn't be happier with my interchange dryer...except I ordered it too short.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
my thinking is  . . . we have one auto now and should be getting another one within few years. With two autos running at 700-800 (not very often, but it will happen) we'll need 1400-1500/hour capacity.

not sure what happens when we start running waterbased and discharge though.

I like the modular idea. start small and add as we grow.
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 12:18:32 PM »
. . .how wide is your belt? I have been told many times to go as wide as I can. We may have 2 autos to feed -or a larger one, I'm not too sure yet. I'm thinking of keeping the 6 color because it's here, it's paid for and what can I really get for it?

And like Pierre says, what about WB and discharge - 10' may not be enough. Although we do it now with our electric dryer.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 12:21:01 PM »
With discharge, go longer.

if you want to fee 2 autos, go 60"  it just gives you a little more real estate.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 01:09:25 PM »
Good thread. 

The problem for me with used gas dryers is I don't know the first thing about natural gas fired machines so I shyed away from it for fear of shipping myself a terminally ill piece of equipment.  I'd be hesitant to buy a used boiler for my home, for example and would want a professional to check it out first.  With electric, no problem to do repairs for the most part- rewire a new panel, fuses, controls, etc., you just need the part and the schematic really.  What do you look for with gas and what can go wrong with one of those dryers that would cost more than outright replacement and/or render it scrap?

I would think a 60" wide split belt would be where it's at for a dryer being fed by two presses.

I cant think of a piece of equipment that can ruin you faster...do the best you can, and do a bunch of shirts not cured correctly. Spend the most for your budget on for DRYER.

Agreed 100%.  I don't care if you print manually, auto, whatever, you outgrow the dryer first and it's usually the biggest pain in the arse to replace. 

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 01:34:34 PM »
I love dryer talk, I have been researching them for a while now.  Knowing what I know about our dryer, I wouldn't really be hesitant in buying a used dryer.  They are so simple and ours is 20+ years old and it just cures shirt after shirt so I think a late model that fits our needs won't be near the risk of buying a used auto.  I just want something that is cool to the touch and won't kill us with heat when we finally air condition the shop, oh, and be very efficient as well. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 01:47:24 PM »
I love dryer talk, I have been researching them for a while now.  Knowing what I know about our dryer, I wouldn't really be hesitant in buying a used dryer.  They are so simple and ours is 20+ years old and it just cures shirt after shirt so I think a late model that fits our needs won't be near the risk of buying a used auto.  I just want something that is cool to the touch and won't kill us with heat when we finally air condition the shop, oh, and be very efficient as well.

something I've been trying to find out:
is there a dryer that can draw the combustion air from the outside? Being in an air conditioned shop, I would prefer to burn the outside air rather then the air I just cooled down.

M&R said that their big dryers do not have a central opening and it would be difficult to pipe the air in. I think I asked Anatol the same question and received the same answer. my guess is they all draw the air from all over the place just to keep everything cool.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 02:01:46 PM »
the interchange has a vent on the side that I am sure you could work some sort of an induction system for. 

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 07:50:45 AM »
http://www.digitsmith.com/american-texair-60-gas-electric-26419.html

I saw this on a "troll site"
Not a 12' long, but someone might like it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 09:40:50 AM by DKgrafix »

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 08:24:15 AM »
the infrared panels will help the heat most certainly.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 09:27:04 AM »
http://www.digitsmith.com/american-texair-60-gas-electric-26419.html

I sow this on a "troll site"
Not a 12' long, but someone might like it.

That's a badass dryer, we have one similar but ours is 48" and it will handle 2 autos fairly easy, so that 60" will do it with ease.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.