Author Topic: Hat embroidery on front -size?  (Read 7287 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Hat embroidery on front -size?
« on: February 06, 2013, 11:08:36 AM »
I am ordering some hats embroidered and am seeing that the max imprint on most as 2.5" tall.  My customers logo for the left chest is 3.25 tall. (and has small type at bottom).

The emb shop suggested having another location (side) for the smaller type and just use the circle logo at the front...but customer does not want it broke up.

So I can't reduce the whole thing down to 2.5 and they don't want to break it up.

Is this imprint area (just a suggestion) for screen printing...or can we embroider larger on the front than the suggested print size?  The one they prefer is a low profile cap with a imprint size of 2.5 tall...but the others that are not low profile has that same imprint size. 2.5 tall.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Hat embroidery on front -size?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 11:13:35 AM »
How many?.....How quick do they need them?.....If the quantity is high enough or time is long enough, overseas production would be best....Most cap suppliers can do them in Asia...3.25" high might still be an issue...

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 11:14:48 AM »
I rarely go bigger than 2.25.
2.5 is definitely the MAX for hat embroidery on the "standard" hats. You can go a bit bigger in a trucker hats, or a really tall hats

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 11:17:15 AM »
Embroidering directly on a made hat will bring you down to 2.25" tops maybe a tad higher but it all also depends on the hat as well.

Roysters idea is great because they embroider the blanks before it is sewn in to the finished hat but it does take quite some time.

As for the small text no way, especially below the logo close to the edge of the brim, it will not look good no matter what you try to do.

Next best bet get someone to do transfers on five panel hats.
"No man is an island"

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 11:25:33 AM »
The time for overseas can be a short as a couple weeks.....But there is usually a premium for such service....But if your design has lots of locations and stitches, even with the extra charges you can be less than domestic embroidery.....Plus you can to odd locations like a woven sandwich or on the peak....

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 11:34:20 AM »
I have a VERY similar client... they insist on keeping the logo "as is" and it just doesn't work well for embroidery.  We just tell them we don't like it but here is the sew out.  They approve and we move forwards.

Maybe you can make the text a bit larger and shrink the circle?  PITA customers.

We moved things around like that to make it happen and make it look good and they said "looks good, but can we move this back over here?"   *facepalm*  THAT WAS WHAT WE HAD TO MOVE TO MAKE IT WORK!!!  They don't care, they want it X so we give them a very shitty X. ;)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 12:17:43 PM »
The time is now under a week and quantity is only 2 doz.  It's a nice clean logo, but two lines of type at bottom.

Bottom line is, they are either going to have to add the 2nd location or go with a trucker hat...and they are not those who would wear a trucker hat just to have the full logo on it.  So they will ned to take with 2 locations.

Thanks all,  I'm new to ordering embroidery items and run into some questions now and then.

I'm using BJ for the digitizing. Keeping it within the family here. ;)

SIDE NOTE:
An odd thing about selling embroidery here in town. I went outside the town resources to get my emb work done when people come in and order emb from me.  So, I received an email blast showcasing a Co  for contract emb work (in Orlando) so, it's close to me.   So I call and start doing a few orders and the contact person starts asking about my business, where it's located in town and what I focus on. I give the address and describe the location and I says I focus on screen printing...but sell other stuff and I do retail etc. and we move on to my emb jobs at hand.

So, she contacts me back the next day and says, You know, I just want to give you a heads up that (we) the Co, have not one, but two sales reps that work directly for that Co. that are located right here in my town.

I says oh?  Hmm.  And SHE, this contact and her production printing guy both live right there in my town and she is a member of the Chamber here in my town.

LOL. Ok. I said well then, it looks like your Co you work for may corner the St. Cloud embroidery market. LOL.  It doesn't bother me to use them while they sell direct to my potential customers here in town. They already have been here for a few years apparently flying under the radar and not many know the are here.

Then I put two and two together, she is the same person I've heard about here in this town... that went out of the screen print business here in town...and when to work for this Co in Orlando. Very small world.

I don't actaully go out trying to get embroidery sales, but they come in now and then and for this job in question, is a potentially very good customer with many orders since they do many events and also sell retail.  I may have even taken the job from them...only to job it back (to them).  LOL.

She attends my towns Chamber meetings (that I am in) as well. I just hadn't seen her or put two and two together yet.  Small world.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 12:47:36 PM »
2-2.25 for most hat types.  However there are some out there that you can get more out of.  We had one in here the other day I know we probably could have went 2.75-3 inches.  But the quality of the hat wasn't amazing at all. 

Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline bj

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 01:21:05 PM »
Sometimes it just is a matter of the cap frame limitations.  I have one customer who can only go 2.25" height due to her cap frame but most others can go 2.5".  I had one a while back that could only go 2" which is really pushing it for certain logos.  That is the point where you have to start simplifying the detail especially if it has multiple borders, lots of detail etc...

p.s. thanks for keeping it in the family ;)

Offline Lizard

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 07:07:47 PM »
2.35" tall.
Toby
 Shirt Lizard Charlotte, NC 704-521-5225