Author Topic: 5 color Sim-Process w/ Discharge  (Read 5088 times)

Offline coopersdesign

• Verified/Junior
5 color Sim-Process w/ Discharge
« on: April 07, 2011, 04:27:52 PM »
1.) Discharge Underbase (No Flash)
2.) PMS 136 Golden Yellow
3.) PMS 179 Red Orange
4.) Burgandy
5.) Black

All colors printed wet on wet.

(P.S. Sorry about quality of print pic, took with a cell phone. The other is the pre-press proof with halftones.)

Much of the beauty
that arises in art comes from the struggle an artist wages with his limited medium -Henri Matisse

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: 5 color Sim-Process w/ Discharge
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 04:31:10 PM »
Hey, looky at that.  Great stuff. WET ON WET?   WOW that makes me....happy. We don't need no stink'n FLASHES.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline coopersdesign

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 04:39:24 PM »
According to Union Ink's destructions, flashing the "Plasticharge" will stop the discharge process (or slow it down) I wanted to get as much white as I could. Printing wet on wet inks allowed more time for the discharge to work, as well as help the halftones blend better! I'm extremely happy with it.

1 drawback: The EXTREMELY long exposure time for the special discharge emulsion. 10 minutes. Ugh!

Much of the beauty
that arises in art comes from the struggle an artist wages with his limited medium -Henri Matisse

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 11:34:18 PM »
Very cool!

quick question, why discharge and which emulsion did you use?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Donnie

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 11:52:13 PM »
Nice!

Offline coopersdesign

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 01:05:16 PM »
Very cool!

quick question, why discharge and which emulsion did you use?

pierre

To answer Pierre's question:
I wanted to use discharge in order to avoid the top ink colors acting like skaters on an ice rink.
Also, customer wanted a vintage/destroyed look, as well as a softer finish.

I used Chromaline emulsion.

Much of the beauty

Offline coopersdesign

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 01:58:24 PM »
Here's a better image of the final print. By the way, I washed the shirt. Forgive the wrinkly-ness. :)

And for those of you who are wondering what I started out with...here's the customer provided cell phone art.

Much of the beauty

Offline squeegee

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 02:10:08 PM »
That looks great, nice job on the art.

Are those plastisol inks on a discharge base or all discharge colors?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 12:18:15 AM »
Ann, the stuff looks great! Do you have any more you could share?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 12:26:12 AM »

1 drawback: The EXTREMELY long exposure time for the special discharge emulsion. 10 minutes. Ugh!

EGAD!

What exposure source are you using? I have a 1200w metal halide and I'm at much less than 2 minutes for any screen. I use Ulano 925WR and some newer CCI stuff, WR-25.

Nice print by the way. Is it straight plastisol on top of the discharge?
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline coopersdesign

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 08:28:49 PM »
That looks great, nice job on the art.

Are those plastisol inks on a discharge base or all discharge colors?

Hey Sqeegee,
Yes, I used discharge only for the underbase, and regular plastisol for the colors. Worked beautifully.
Much of the beauty

Offline coopersdesign

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 08:29:35 PM »
Ann, the stuff looks great! Do you have any more you could share?

pierre

Pierre,
I'll see what I can round up. I'm sure I do, SOMEWHERE.
Much of the beauty

Offline coopersdesign

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 08:31:28 PM »

EGAD!

What exposure source are you using? I have a 1200w metal halide and I'm at much less than 2 minutes for any screen. I use Ulano 925WR and some newer CCI stuff, WR-25.

Nice print by the way. Is it straight plastisol on top of the discharge?
Evo,
White Light Desktop Exposure Unit. I'm upgrading soon :)
Thanks!
Ann
Much of the beauty

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 08:51:06 PM »
Hmm. I could see doing that print with no underbase at all, just 3-4 colors of overlapping w-o-w discharge.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline ftembroidery

• !!!
  • Just got new glasses, but I'm still disillusioned
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 08:58:07 PM »
You'll be amazed at the difference a really good exposure unit will make.  If and when you go to a good Metal Halide Single Point unit, not only will it expose your screens in a shorter time period, you'll get crisper (sharper) stencils as well.  You'll need to make sure the positives on the film are as dense (light blocking) as possible though, as the more intense light will go thru a weaker stencil.
Grant me the ability to change the things I can, the strength to accept the things I cannot and the wisdom to recognize the difference.