Author Topic: Emulsion Question  (Read 13183 times)

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Emulsion Question
« on: June 20, 2011, 11:38:09 PM »
For Plastisol (no waterbase or discharge), what emulsion do you like and a quick "why" you stick with it.

I'm trying to decide whether to stay with QTX or not.

TIA.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Re: Emulsion Question
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 12:34:27 AM »
Aquasol HVP -  high solids, shoots quick, holds great detail, best stencil edge definition I've found.

Kiwo One Coat is nice too and very similar.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 06:52:17 AM »
I did not care for QTX  I use ITX from Image Technology, for all the same reasons Zoo listed.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 07:53:37 AM »
Chromablue.
Quick, high solids, easy to coat, good detail and only $59/galon

Online Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 08:10:45 AM »
Chromaline CT-R - it's like QTX, Textile PV  but higher solid content, shoots in 45 seconds, 45.00 gal. all around win. . .I didn't care for the viscosity of HVP, I may try it again when the price goes up on my CT-R.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 08:24:21 AM »
Chromaline CT-R - it's like QTX, Textile PV  but higher solid content, shoots in 45 seconds, 45.00 gal. all around win. . .I didn't care for the viscosity of HVP, I may try it again when the price goes up on my CT-R.
Which exposure unit you have to be able to shoot 45 sec? Also, everywhere CT-r is $88, where do you get it for $45? :)

Online Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 08:46:01 AM »
black lights and I have a source. . .pm sent. . . ;)

I would say I'll call you but I'm not Sam.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 08:55:37 AM »
black lights and I have a source. . .pm sent. . . ;)

I would say I'll call you but I'm not Sam.

;)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 10:17:42 AM »
I like Chromablue, Kiwo One Coat and Saati PHW Red.  Those are all high solids pure photopolymer emulsions.  We use the chromablue and Saati right now.  The saati is delegated to low mesh screens and building very thick stencils, and the chroma is used on 137 and up with 15-25% eom ratios, depending on mesh count.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Clark

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 10:56:14 AM »
I'm moving from One-Coat to ChromaBlue for standard stuff, and I normally use Ulano LX-680 for simulated process screens.  But I got a sample of some Saati emulsion that I'm told is similar to LX-680.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 11:44:52 AM »
Currently using Ulano QX-1. Supposed to be a hybrid dual-cure. Shelf life of a pure photopolymer, slower than QTX, but holds good detail, melts off the mesh on reclaiming. Withstands solvent inks (which was why I started using it to begin with) so it's sort of an all-purpose emulsion for me.
I've got some Tubelight TLX or TTX or whatever their house QTX alternative is. Doesn't seem any faster than the QX-1, but it really builds a thick stencil. Fairly cheap. Good for light on dark graphics that don't have halftones. Saati Textil PV was my previous t-shirt favorite, and I think it's better than the Tubelight all 'round.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Online Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 11:49:19 AM »
I loved textile PV too until the price increase. My cost went up almost 20.00 from what I recall. huge increase. With so many out there, it's so hard to settle on just one. Find a reliable one and then play around.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 12:29:33 PM »
I'm moving from One-Coat to ChromaBlue for standard stuff, and I normally use Ulano LX-680 for simulated process screens.  But I got a sample of some Saati emulsion that I'm told is similar to LX-680.

I was looking at trying the One Coat. How come you are moving away from it? How does it do for holding detail?
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 12:35:05 PM »
another Aquasolv HV. I tried two or three others and could not get them to work. All of them would get blown out when pressure washing. I'll need some more tools to figure out what's causing it.
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Clark

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 12:38:44 PM »

I was looking at trying the One Coat. How come you are moving away from it? How does it do for holding detail?

Nothing to do with the emulsion,  switching because I can't stand the supply company that carries the Kiwo in my area.