Author Topic: Emulsion Question  (Read 13193 times)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Re: Emulsion Question
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2011, 12:00:52 AM »
hmmm, I am on an MSP3140 and my exposure time for the 305's is 1min 20 sec?!?

When I first started using Aquasol HV I was burning screens at 45 to a min. That is what I was used to with other emulsions. With this stuff it doesn't need to burn that long to lock in. That’s why I love it so much.

How I coat my screens...
I coat my screens with the sharp side 2/1 (shirt/squeegee). When I coat my screens I always hold it up to the light to make sure I have a consistent clean/smooth coating after a 2/1. A lot of times I will have to redo the coating because of lighter and darker spots when the screen is held up to the light. In this case I start over with another round of 2/1. Then almost always the coverage is nice and consistent.

that would explain some of the difference. If I may suggest, check out the article on coating the screens written by Douglas Griger. It's on the home page here.
You are probably laying down about a third of the emulsion we are (2/1 with dull edge to meet the glisten requirements). Even then, I would guess you might be underexposed. 'can't really say without checking it out though . . .

Pierre,

I am not sure I would want more stencil thickness then I am getting. I know the glisten method. I took a class on it in Long Beach.  I can always feel the edge of the emulsion on the screen. I don't have any way of measuring it but here is a picture so you can see what I am talking about. I have tried to do screens with the round edge. It is just to much emulsion. Maybe if i was doing athletic numbers it would be good. One thing I do is keep my emulsion in the refrigerator. I know this makes it a lot thicker. I bet that is playing a part in how much lay down I am getting. I may be wrong. Check out the picture. It’s not the best but it may show something.

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2011, 02:50:33 AM »
Nothing to do with the emulsion,  switching because I can't stand the supply company that carries the Kiwo in my area.

Let me guess.. It's midwest sign.
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2011, 03:05:00 AM »
A lot of people have been talking thicknesses of their coating. It was driving me batty not knowing my actual EOM. We bought one of these guys http://highlinemeter.com/ HighLine Meter II Paint Thickness Gauge.

It's awesome. Measures in mils and microns. I check my coating every few weeks to make sure i'm being consistent.
It's also cool to test ink thickness on a shirt once you've printed and dried it.

It was an expensive gadget.. But i'm super super happy that we bought it and use it all the time.
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2011, 09:56:11 AM »
A lot of people have been talking thicknesses of their coating. It was driving me batty not knowing my actual EOM. We bought one of these guys http://highlinemeter.com/ HighLine Meter II Paint Thickness Gauge.

It's awesome. Measures in mils and microns. I check my coating every few weeks to make sure i'm being consistent.
It's also cool to test ink thickness on a shirt once you've printed and dried it.

It was an expensive gadget.. But i'm super super happy that we bought it and use it all the time.

I'm constantly using our thickness gauge for things around here.  I'm always measuring ink deposits and stencil thicknesses.  Good to see other screen print geeks measuring things and acting like we're in science class.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.