Author Topic: What have you printed lately?  (Read 554555 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: what have you printed lately? #2
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2011, 09:52:05 PM »
Sweet!   But the Portal is toooooo bright.   HAHA.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Online tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2011, 07:14:35 AM »
Nice Pierre....I like those guys though not a gamer buff. Hope you had a nice cruise....I sent you a bunch of 'pegs but may have gotten buried in your e-mail.
best tp

Offline JayzTeez

• !!!
  • Manual Screen Printer
Re: What have you printed lately?
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2011, 09:58:46 PM »
Damn you guys are good really impressive i seem to only get the boring prints usually just one or two colors.
Jayz Teez Screen Printing
Houtzdale, PA.

Offline prozyan

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2011, 11:06:46 PM »
Two color prints don't necessarily have to be boring.  You can do a lot with two colors if you work with some monochrome halftones.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2011, 01:41:31 AM »
some here might recognize the characters . . .

printed this yesterday. Not as crisp as some others (neither is the photo), but still pretty nice.

Dan separated, need one minor tweak and it was ready. Setup time about 30 min with that one adjustment. One of the easier setups for a pretty demanding customer.

Just saw this. Nice!

You printing for Valve directly or some other shirt distributor?
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2011, 07:06:42 AM »
some here might recognize the characters . . .

printed this yesterday. Not as crisp as some others (neither is the photo), but still pretty nice.

Dan separated, need one minor tweak and it was ready. Setup time about 30 min with that one adjustment. One of the easier setups for a pretty demanding customer.

Just saw this. Nice!

You printing for Valve directly or some other shirt distributor?

somebody else. This was a proof which turns out Valve did not approve. After we printed it, they told my customer that they granted an exclusive license to somebody else, so my customer is out separation and sampling fees. Kinda sucks . . . They are pretty hard to work with, everything goes through several revisions before it's approved.
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline squeegee

« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2011, 05:28:59 PM »
Dreamcatcher design -- plastisol on discharge

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2011, 05:47:32 PM »
somebody else. This was a proof which turns out Valve did not approve. After we printed it, they told my customer that they granted an exclusive license to somebody else, so my customer is out separation and sampling fees. Kinda sucks . . . They are pretty hard to work with, everything goes through several revisions before it's approved.

I often work with the composer that does music for Valve. They are a tough customer. This guy puts studio musicians through the ringer. He did all the music for Portal 2. He also did L4D, L4D2, Team Fortress 2, etc. Much of the drumming in the soundtracks for those games is my work.

http://www.teamfortress.com/trailer.htm
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2011, 07:09:30 PM »
Dreamcatcher design -- plastisol on discharge

That's nice. Plastisol highlight white in the white areas?
Have you noticed any issues with "cracking" of the overprint? I did a test with hot pink over the discharge and there was a tendency for the top color to split along the weave. Thought I might add some stretch additive.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline squeegee

« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2011, 08:18:06 PM »
Thanks, we've been printing this design since 1994 and this is the best it has ever looked.  Yes, plastisol for the highlight.

I have found that if you pull at the ink after washing that yes it will crack, but to a lesser degree if you make sure your dwell time is long enough for discharge and the plastisol reaches desired cure temps.  If you don't pull at the ink, the cracking doesn't appear on its own.  I've been running discharge bases for 6 months now and have not had a single complaint.  I will say that pure white discharge will accelerate cracking and I'm still using a 20/80 ratio of white to base for the discharge.  My theory, and it is only a theory is that the pigment in the white discharge that sits on top is the culprit to the cracking, but am not happy with pure base alone because the colors don't pop enough.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:20:45 PM by squeegee »

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2011, 05:20:19 PM »
Not the best shirt ever technically but I've been printing a ton of these for my (new) band. These guys re-united in 2009 and added me in 2010. I'm the new drummer, and the new printer.

This is a re-issue of the tour jersey they had back in 1994:
http://www.planetoftheamps.com/sleep-1994tour.html

The original art and films were long lost so I had to re-create the art from NASA archive file photos and pics of drums and amps gleaned from several sources, including recent pics of the same gear in the original shirt design. Some pics of the gear were un-obtainable, so I had to make composites (the amp in the foreground is comprised of 4 different pics of different amplifiers, with all the shadows added by hand)

3-color print, Matsui 301 wb inks, green, soft black and spot black outline.

All the raster work was done in GIMP.

Logo and outline was re-created in Corel X5 so I have a scalable version.   :D

Special thanks to Commander Gene Cernan for posing while loading gear. (that amplifier would only weigh approx 8 lbs up there...)

Detail:

More detail. 65 lpi, round dot @ 22.5, curve adjusted for 35% dot gain.
I tried it at 50 and 55 lpi (which was more water based ink friendly with a 230 and 255 mesh respectively)  but it took on way too much "film grain" look, even from 5 feet away or more. I wanted it to look vintage but high quality (like a NASA photo  ;)  ). The 65 lpi barely works as the knit on the Anvil jerseys we're using is much coarser than I would like, but it's the only good 3/4 sleeve one I could find in kelly/white.

Back of the shirt...tour dates/planets/venues   ;D

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2011, 07:17:34 PM »
You guys really PISS ME OFF when I see what someone can do with a freekin screen and a press and then i look at my stuff i think I should be printing single color stuff in the crotch of BVD'S, nice freaking stuff, you all piss me off!!!!!!!!! >:(
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2011, 07:34:01 PM »
Nice EVO!
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2011, 07:34:38 PM »
Ill post this here too.

Here is one we just did.

Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2011, 07:42:36 PM »
how about adding some of these to the gallery?
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!