Author Topic: What have you printed lately?  (Read 554592 times)

Offline Mr Tees!!

Re: What have you printed lately?
« Reply #1410 on: August 20, 2014, 06:24:07 PM »
...I dunno, P....kinda blurry on some of those people in the crowd.... :P ::)

...seriously, that's pretty effing spectacular. The detail in the skin texture on the forehead there is amazing, almost looks 3D!
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #1411 on: August 20, 2014, 06:26:26 PM »
this one was rough. Misunderstanding from the start so we went off in teh wrong direction. Took a day to get back to where we were heading. I think this is the longest we've ever sampled a job.

pierre

This one sucks.

By that I mean it's awesome.  WOW!!!
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #1412 on: August 20, 2014, 07:21:01 PM »
That's s a really nice one Pierre. Flesh tones never seem to be easy, especially on an underbase.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #1413 on: August 20, 2014, 09:02:36 PM »
here's a bigger version. Did not want to clog up the bandwidth, but it's worth a look. . .

pierre

Pretty good for a beginner. ;)    LOL.   I taught him everything he knows and he still don't know nutt'n. :)

It would be interesting, educational and fun to provide my version and compare results of ( the same printer), it would be a good indication of obvious great results using auto sep program combined with printer skill adjustments compared to mine combined with printer skills.

I'm sure mine would be different, and for salability, not even necessarily better or worse. Just different. As you can see, both options (can) produce excellent sellable/ approvable results.

In this case, if you were to only see this one, we might think THIS is tops and can't get much better...yet, when you (only) look at mine), you might say, THIS is tops. Can't get much better.  Set them side by side, you can then see the subtle difference.  Again tho, from a customers perspective either will be fantastic.

This is a good example of the tweaking involved and adjustments needed later on press from a skilled printer. I think it's and EXCELLENT job well done Pierre.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #1414 on: August 20, 2014, 09:31:03 PM »
damn hell P, that chit is bananas...you better get it right or he bust you one in the face.

truly amazing P, great seps...

sampling time?
waay too long due to miscommunications. If that time was taken out, still probably 5-6 hours, if not more. We are sampling after hours, so it (again) normally would not be an issue. In this case, we had to sample during the day and it cost us a bunch of money to do it. This was a first time customer and we were not expecting the level of print they were after. 99.9999% would have been happy with the first proof, but they wanted more and I misunderstood what they wanted. Spent two days chasing the impossible to finally get an answer of what really needs to be done. Chalk it all up to new customer. We know now what their expectations are. If the first print was taken, I think we sampled that about an hour or two.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #1415 on: August 20, 2014, 09:33:48 PM »
Do you have a pic of the first sample?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #1416 on: August 20, 2014, 09:36:48 PM »
here's a bigger version. Did not want to clog up the bandwidth, but it's worth a look. . .

pierre

Pretty good for a beginner. ;)    LOL.   I taught him everything he knows and he still don't know nutt'n. :)

It would be interesting, educational and fun to provide my version and compare results of ( the same printer), it would be a good indication of obvious great results using auto sep program combined with printer skill adjustments compared to mine combined with printer skills.

I'm sure mine would be different, and for salability, not even necessarily better or worse. Just different. As you can see, both options (can) produce excellent sellable/ approvable results.

In this case, if you were to only see this one, we might think THIS is tops and can't get much better...yet, when you (only) look at mine), you might say, THIS is tops. Can't get much better.  Set them side by side, you can then see the subtle difference.  Again tho, from a customers perspective either will be fantastic.

This is a good example of the tweaking involved and adjustments needed later on press from a skilled printer. I think it's and EXCELLENT job well done Pierre.

This was actually separated by hand. It took longer as this was my first time separating a high end job and I used the scripts for HSB separations I wrote about a year ago. 'decided to give the HSB a try and was pleasantly surprised with the results. I ran the UltraSeps afterwards and they were almost identical; that's when I decided to buy it.
Normally this would have been a brown print with a little other color in for shading, but HSB splits it into red and yellow. This was completely foreign to me and we had time to try it so we did. I'll run few more jobs that way to see if the rest of them come out so nice. I am sure if Dan separated it with the browns it would have looked nice, too. And as he said, not sure which one would be better. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #1417 on: August 20, 2014, 09:43:09 PM »

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #1418 on: August 21, 2014, 07:13:14 AM »
Lets not forget Nashville (sorry Andy!). No tweaks except 2 ink changes on Ty.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #1419 on: August 21, 2014, 11:28:21 AM »
P I think you nailed it perfect, I know printing people of color is very hard because of all our different shin tones,  very nice!!!!!  I'd love to spend a day or two in your shop picking your brains, I might could learn something if I could retain all the info LOL.

darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #1420 on: August 21, 2014, 02:01:05 PM »
the plot thickens.
they were not real happy with the print, so we had to decline to produce it for them. I thought the unpredictability was too much of a liability if they were having issues with that. . . Rick from Mirror Image is gonna try to please them. Good luck Rick!

pierre

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #1421 on: August 21, 2014, 02:05:33 PM »
the plot thickens.
they were not real happy with the print, so we had to decline to produce it for them. I thought the unpredictability was too much of a liability if they were having issues with that. . . Rick from Mirror Image is gonna try to please them. Good luck Rick!

pierre

Hmmm ya wow if that wasn't good enough for them best of luck on that one.  I bet they come back. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #1422 on: August 21, 2014, 03:23:32 PM »
So in a case like this do you end up charging them for all the time you spent on it, art seps, sampling, etc etc etc? Just curious how other shops handle that because the high quality of that print...well it's not going to get much better then what you did, seems like their expectations are un realistic.

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #1423 on: August 21, 2014, 03:41:34 PM »
That sucks, you just can't read minds & some people just can't  seem to be pleased.

I have gone off for hours & hours, multiple revisions for some clients & sometimes.......well let's just say I have had a few that after I give them the strikeoff & they tell me what they don't like its clearly changes to the art that have nothing to do with our reproduction    of THEIR ART.

Sometimes we see this coming & make sure we are up front with them & charge accordingly. But some times we get stuck with it & chalk it up to a learning experience. 

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #1424 on: August 21, 2014, 03:52:39 PM »
I've never dealt with a customer like this so forgive the stupid questions - but what don't they like? what are the changes you need to make? Depth, opacity, hitting pms colors? I can't imagine what they wouldn't like?...I don't know what I would say if I spent time like you did, and they turn around and go, meh....

that is a truly impressive print, I don't care who you are  - that is a nice print....great seps..
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...