Author Topic: What have you printed lately?  (Read 557164 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: What have you printed lately?
« Reply #2610 on: July 28, 2016, 05:30:11 PM »
in the grand scheme of things, we all have generally the same equipment and products...How are you getting that kind of detail to transfer to the knit of a shirt? amazing....

Lesson time with SERJ, maybe some youtube vids, I'd be happy to pay for some of that knowledge. hold a small online class somehow...has to be in the seps or something, that is insane detail..

It is above and beyond that does make you question your own abilities and knowledge, but can be used in a positive manner to step up your own game.  I've got a set of films here (somewhere under a pile of junk) that is going to test our abilities and hopefully it will be somewhere close to SERJ's work.  It was done by one of the best artists in the industry and the film is from an OYO Techstyler.  I've also got some tricks to get our screens in top form (cap film w/ direct emulsion).  Our problem this time last year when we started this project was our expo unit, art/artist and our screens were good, but not great and now that we've straightened those issues out I need to find that film and give it another go.  When Joe came to visit last summer we were going to do this project to submit a shirt for the next ISS competition but we ran into the previously mentioned problems (they aren't problems unless you're trying to reach a level of print quality like SERJ and other competition winners and competitors are doing) and had to put the project on hold.  I started looking for the film this morning and so far I haven't turned them up, which is freaking me out a little bit. 

Where in the hell would I have put the most important set of film we have ever had?  I've looked in all of my usual spots...
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline Full-SpectrumSeparator

• "Knowledge is possessed only by sharing."
« Reply #2611 on: July 28, 2016, 05:45:52 PM »
in the grand scheme of things, we all have generally the same equipment and products...How are you getting that kind of detail to transfer to the knit of a shirt? amazing....

Lesson time with SERJ, maybe some youtube vids, I'd be happy to pay for some of that knowledge. hold a small online class somehow...has to be in the seps or something, that is insane detail..

SERJ has mentioned before he is using high LPI like 85 and higher.    Higher LPI = more detail.      There could be a lot of other factors involved, but higher LPI will give more detail, also adding more colors in a blend will make it higher-detail when viewed closer - - for example a greyscale black to white gradient... at 45 LPI it will have a certain detail in the halftone shading.....  you can increase the LPI to get more smoothness to the shades and will capture more detail from textures,  OR you could add a GREY ink separation that blends between the black and white -- now where you had grey made from black and white dots - a certain detail level or LOD - level of detail - you have GREY ink - a smooth shade of color with no dots making it, and anything else grey in texture will be more detailed because its like a spot-color, imagine grey text it would be grey and not black and white halftone dots so it would appear more detailed....     if you add more separation colors in a blend AND higher LPI or use techniques like index or hybrid like interlocking, then the level of detail increases exponentially.     

"Science and invention benefited most of all from the printing press."   https://www.youtube.com/user/FullSpectrumVideo  ||  https://sellfy.com/planetaryprints

« Reply #2612 on: July 28, 2016, 05:58:28 PM »

It is above and beyond that does make you question your own abilities and knowledge, but can be used in a positive manner to step up your own game.  I've got a set of films here (somewhere under a pile of junk) that is going to test our abilities and hopefully it will be somewhere close to SERJ's work.  It was done by one of the best artists in the industry and the film is from an OYO Techstyler.  I've also got some tricks to get our screens in top form (cap film w/ direct emulsion).  Our problem this time last year when we started this project was our expo unit, art/artist and our screens were good, but not great and now that we've straightened those issues out I need to find that film and give it another go.  When Joe came to visit last summer we were going to do this project to submit a shirt for the next ISS competition but we ran into the previously mentioned problems (they aren't problems unless you're trying to reach a level of print quality like SERJ and other competition winners and competitors are doing) and had to put the project on hold.  I started looking for the film this morning and so far I haven't turned them up, which is freaking me out a little bit. 

Where in the hell would I have put the most important set of film we have ever had?  I've looked in all of my usual spots...

It is like trying to hunt down all the worker bees when you should focus on the queen.    You gotta see the forest for the trees.... the screenprint for the halftones.   

You can spend countless hours testing all these other variables, and then change only one thing about how you separate and create your halftones and suddenly it has more impact than all the other variables combined.     Have you tested this variable?
"Science and invention benefited most of all from the printing press."   https://www.youtube.com/user/FullSpectrumVideo  ||  https://sellfy.com/planetaryprints

Offline SERJ

« Reply #2613 on: July 29, 2016, 10:00:22 AM »

Here are some https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_NKiBvuw4s

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #2614 on: July 29, 2016, 03:11:49 PM »

It is like trying to hunt down all the worker bees when you should focus on the queen.    You gotta see the forest for the trees.... the screenprint for the halftones.   

You can spend countless hours testing all these other variables, and then change only one thing about how you separate and create your halftones and suddenly it has more impact than all the other variables combined.     Have you tested this variable?

What's a halftone?  :)

Instead of doing this in house with our epson inkjet and with our artist, we paid to have someone that does this type of separating and design work often since we do not do this on a regular basis.  If/when we need to do this type of work more than once a year or less then yeah, we'll start measuring things that we don't currently.  We do measure a lot of things after the art department and folding the shirts but since I don't dabble in the art department I have to rely on the guy we pay that does dabble in it.  Unfortunately it's our weak point in all that we do but at least I know it and we can always turn to others who do know the things that we don't.  I'd love to have an artist in here that is on par with the other aspects of our operation but we don't at the moment.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2615 on: July 29, 2016, 04:03:39 PM »
Simple discharge and HSA on triblends. Gray Discharge (can't tell in photo), black water base, white HSA, quick flash and the yellow HSA. The shirt is way better in person. And so thin I could not imagine printing plastisol on these.

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2616 on: July 29, 2016, 06:27:46 PM »
Here's a couple production run prints that we knocked out today along with a few others for the barb. Really happy with the fleshy tones on these designs, the piano shirt the face is only about the size of a quarter so the detail is insane. We had to work with very marginal photos so you can only polish a turd so much. The shading of the dress in the piano design is super crazy detailed and we were able to hold all the detail there only using 1 screen.

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #2617 on: July 29, 2016, 08:54:55 PM »
Very Nicely done Danny!

How many times did you need to go back for re-seps? 65+lpi?

Brandon:  Wish we had more call for water base man - You're killin it as always!
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #2618 on: July 30, 2016, 11:02:56 AM »
Danny I like the use of the pallet as a back drop. Nice prints!

Murphy

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2619 on: July 30, 2016, 06:18:25 PM »
Simple discharge and HSA on triblends. Gray Discharge (can't tell in photo), black water base, white HSA, quick flash and the yellow HSA. The shirt is way better in person. And so thin I could not imagine printing plastisol on these.
What brand of HSA do you use?

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2620 on: July 31, 2016, 03:30:18 PM »
Serj is a genius, look at those results printing by hand on statics.
Amazing art, amazing technique. Bravo.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

« Reply #2621 on: July 31, 2016, 05:16:02 PM »
Serj is a genius, look at those results printing by hand on statics.
Amazing art, amazing technique. Bravo.

I don't understand.    Is this something you're not supposed to be able to do printing on a manual and with static frames?? 

For me this kind of stuff is actually a lot easier on a manual for many reasons. 
Static frames vs. retensionable makes no difference if you have the same tension on your mesh, same mesh, etc, its the same screen.     

As long as someone uses the same variables that Serj uses, they will get the same results.

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2622 on: July 31, 2016, 11:45:38 PM »
I haven't seen any or many getting results like this.
We keep hearing about the necessity to use extreme high tension on retentionable frames to get the detail Serj gets.
Serj what tension are your screens?
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2623 on: August 01, 2016, 08:09:58 AM »
What brand of HSA do you use?

Permaset SuperCover line. Great inks but hard to get in the States. We will see what happens

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2624 on: August 01, 2016, 08:11:12 AM »
We had to work with very marginal photos so you can only polish a turd so much.

Hahaha. We get a lot of files like that here. Some are just impossible.